• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Mounts and Running Gear

crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Engine Mounts and Running Gear

Post by crowra »

I am going to preface this with: I did NOT take this one on myself. I used Zimmerman Marine at Herrington Harbour North, MD.

Decided we were way overdue for new engine mounts and an alignment on our 30 year old trawler. I suspect mounts and running gear were original. We had mounts replaced and while we were at it, had shaft and prop sent out for inspection and replaced stuffing box with a dripless seal and Cutlass bearing. And here is where the fun begins... The engine was definitely out of alignment and had bent the coupling. The shaft was in perfect shape except for one minor detail. The boat was built in Taiwan and only couplings that are 2" or 1 3/4" in diameter are available. The original coupling was a size somewhere in between (shaft was milled a 1/15 of an inch). Milling the shaft down to 1 3/4" was not recommended as this is a major torque point. Sooo... time for a new shaft and coupling. Ouch. We also decided to have a seacock replaced along with the lift muffler that had cracked a couple of years ago (temporarily fixed with JB Weld since it was an aluminum ally that was unknown and 'unweldable').

Anyone interested in a 2" shaft, let me know or else I am selling for scrap.
boat1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Engine Mounts and Running Gear

Post by Carl »

What a nice Valentines gift for the ole girl!!! Sounds like things will be a lot smoother Rob. Hope it all works out well.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: Engine Mounts and Running Gear

Post by crowra »

Thanks Karl! It was a combo Valentines/30-year Anniversary gift. Hope to see you on the dock or water!!!
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin

Return to “36/37/40/43”