• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Found an old transducer

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Found an old transducer

Post by ppaalo »

Found this on my '71 Albin 25 bow side of the fuel tank, in a "holder" filled with oil:
transducer_old.png
It seems to be similar to this one I saw on eBay with the title LINDEN LAB 1976 RG-58 A (which is what it says on my cable also, except for 1977 instead of 1976):
transducer_new.png
Do you think this can be still used for something or should I throw it away? What kind of "reader" would it have worked on, any clue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Found an old transducer

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

What's all that stuff between the spindle nut & the 'ducer? If it were me I would toss it & go for something newer, unless you could find more info on what sounder it might be compatible with. Linden Lab as a transducer/sounder company seems to have gone defunct, at least in the US. A google search only shows the name Linden Lab being used by an internet company focused on virtual reality software.

If you do much serious coastal navigation I would go with a chartplotter/depth sounder combo, as we did with a Garmin 741xs linked to the output of the AIS receiver, which in our case was a Standard Horizon GX2200 Matrix combo VHF transceiver/AIS/GPS. It was indispensable during our Pacific Northwest summer cruise this year.

20180107_173049.jpg
What's the hull/serial number on your 1971 Albin? Ours is 736.
DSCN3677.JPG

So, Siuntio? As in Siuntio, Finland on the Baltic Sea near Helsinki?

Judging from Google map street views, the waters around Helsinki look like a lovely area for boating. The "snekke" style of boats like the Albin 25 appear to be far more common there than they are on this side of the Atlantic.
helsinkimarina.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Re: Found an old transducer

Post by ppaalo »

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'll probably toss it also. The stuff in between is some kind of styrofoam or similar, maybe to keep it more oil-tight? You could say that the initial/yearly budget for boating is already spent (and then some!) so anything existing that could be of use will be at least investigated ;). But my Google searches ended up the same, I have a feeling that the manufacturer Linden Lab could be just the cable and the thing on the end is something else?

Here's the serial plate:
albin_serial.jpg
So it says "Ser. 2 No 465". Not sure about the 1971 but thats what someone told me based on that plate... If you have tips on how to verify that I'd love to hear.

And yes, that is the correct Siuntio :). As you say, yes lots of similar style boats around but apparently no one really makes them anymore so they are all quite old.
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"

Return to “Electronics”