• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Backup Camera Solution

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Backup Camera Solution

Post by stxray »

I came up with a backup camera solution for my truck/boat/trailer and thought I'd share it.

I recently picked up a 2005 Silverado to tow my Albin 25 as my Honda Pilot doesn't have the towing capacity. The Silverado, being a 2005, doesn't have a factory-installed backup camera. So, I was looking for a cost-effective solution. However, I was also looking for something to help with backing and launching the boat. So, I settled on this wireless system https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R ... UTF8&psc=1.

Now normally, you power the monitor and camera by tapping into the backup lights. However, for boat trailering, that's a problem along with where to mount the camera. My trailer doesn't have backup lights so, I'd have to change wiring and perhaps tail lights plus, if I mount the camera on the trailer rear, it would get dunked each time I launched. So, here's what I came up with...

1. I mounted the monitor in the cab of the truck and installed a wired, license plate camera on the truck. That gives me a traditional backup camera which comes on whenever I shift into reverse.
2. I mounted the wireless camera on the stern of the boat and connected to the boat's batteries. Now, if I connect it directly, it would be a constant drain on the batteries as it doesn't shut-off when not in use. So, I wired it to a 12V remote controlled switch. This eliminates the constant drain on the boat's batteries as I can turn it on only when it's needed.

This also gave me an added bonus. I can de-install the monitor from the truck (4 thumb screws) and mount it in the cockpit giving me a backup camera to use when I'm on the water.

If you're dealing with a similar situation and looking for a solution, this might be an answer. I'm impressed with the quality and value of the hardware and the seller was very responsive and helpful.

The next questions is, how well does it hold up. I'll keep you posted.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Re: Backup Camera Solution

Post by stmbtwle »

I had a slightly different problem, as l could not see behind the trailer. I used the regular wired license plate camera, and ran the regular video coax along the frame to the hitch. I ran another coax from the monitor back through the car to the trunk with a male-male adapter. Simply connected the two when I hooked up the trailer, with the adapter just outside the trunk. If I forgot to disconnect it the adapter simply pulled free with no damage.

For power I simply connected the camera power lead to the parking light circuit. This gave me full-time rear view (and backup) by turning on the parking or headlights.

Return to “Electronics”