Electronics set up?

GPS, Sonor, Radar, Fish Finder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Makai
First Mate
First Mate
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:40 am
Home Port: Bristol RI

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Sixtfour
I forgot to mention that I had the new faceplate made at Cay electronics in Portsmouth RI , I drew up what I wanted and gave them hole sizes , plates were ready in 2 days at a cost of $150

Sixtfour
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 pm
Home Port: Buzzards Bay
Location: M.A.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Makai wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:57 pm
Sixtfour
I forgot to mention that I had the new faceplate made at Cay electronics in Portsmouth RI , I drew up what I wanted and gave them hole sizes , plates were ready in 2 days at a cost of $150


That sounds awesome, got any pictures?
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar

MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 pm
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm

Spent the early part of covid lockdown installing a new Axiom 9 in the factory overhead box. Interfaced basic seatalk messaging with my 20 yr old Pathfinder radar and smartpilot. When I can get a haul out gonna install dual flush mount RV transducers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
gerber30
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Looks great!
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"

Jkraft
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 pm
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 am

]My boat uses ram mounts for (2) 1042 garmins. Radio is on top of the dash and autopilot is in the dash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”

User avatar
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:51 am
Home Port: Chester, Md
Location: Castle Harbor Marina
Contact:

Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 am

I installed 2 Axiom MFD’s along with radar, AP and Flir. Very happy with the performance of all. The new equipment takes a bit more tweaking to get everything dialed in but the capabilities are tremendous.
8B9E6768-D1FA-4CD3-BAE1-A8B2CC5A717F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP

jms02050
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm

MK, do you also have an old sounder communicating via Seatalk to the Axiom?
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle

User avatar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale
Location: Fort Lauderdale, zip 33315
Contact:

Thu May 07, 2020 9:29 pm

MerryKate wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm
Spent the early part of covid lockdown installing a new Axiom 9 in the factory overhead box. Interfaced basic seatalk messaging with my 20 yr old Pathfinder radar and smartpilot. When I can get a haul out gonna install dual flush mount RV transducers.
Wow, clean installation, clean boat.. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,144 hrs. 19X18 four-blade wheel.

User avatar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale
Location: Fort Lauderdale, zip 33315
Contact:

Thu May 07, 2020 9:38 pm

Jkraft wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 am
]My boat uses ram mounts for (2) 1042 garmins. Radio is on top of the dash and autopilot is in the dash
1 plotter scree and 1 radar screens? :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,144 hrs. 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Jkraft
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 pm
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Norseman wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:38 pm
Jkraft wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 am
]My boat uses ram mounts for (2) 1042 garmins. Radio is on top of the dash and autopilot is in the dash
1 plotter scree and 1 radar screens? :shock:
Yes, or FishFinder. I have them both on ram mounts. If I need to rotate the port one to face aft I can and people fishing can watch the sounder. When running I usually use my starboard plotter on "radar overlay" and the port one on "radar"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”

MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 pm
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Sun May 10, 2020 6:02 am

jms02050 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm
MK, do you also have an old sounder communicating via Seatalk to the Axiom?
No, I replaced an old Interphase sonar with the Axiom. Really curious to see how the dual Real Vision transducers perform (got the 20 deg flush mounts to go under the helm seats).

The radar is a circa-1999 SL72 (“Raytheon” branded!) and with a converter cable shares basic SeaTalk-1 messages, like GPS position and bearing, with the Axiom SeaTalk-ng protocol (which is basically NMEA2000). The autopilot is a circa-2005 ST6002. It also shares basic messaging with the Axiom, but the Axiom does NOT control the autopilot via its buttons, although waypoint data communication works fine. This is what I expected going in and am happy with the way the system works.

I use the Axiom wifi screen repeater app with an iPad on a Scanstrut ROKK suction cup mount at the companion seat chart table. Only shows the same screen as the Axiom, but gives someone sitting there a better view.

I also replaced the original 23 yr old VHF with an Icom 330G and new Shakespeare commercial antenna. Were money no object I would have replaced all with a 12” Axiom Pro and new HD Doppler radome, but that would be $5k more and the old radar still works fine. All components were chosen to fit in the original overhead electronics box, which keeps the helm layout clean.

Post Reply

Return to “Electronics”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests