• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Time for a new radio and where to hang it

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Time for a new radio and where to hang it

Post by Mike Ebert »

My VHF is now mounted on the side wall next to the helm seat. I am planning on mounting a replacement on the ceiling above the helm. I would like to see where others may have placed theirs and if there were any difficulties with the installation. 31TE by the way.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Re: Time for a new radio and where to hang it

Post by MadMoney »

Hi Mike -

Mine too is next to my helm seat. Out of curiosity, what's driving you to move the location?

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

Well, the newer radios are larger which may be a problem but the main reason is that I can't hear it very well. I was hoping that hanging it would make it easier to use and hear. If it is too big a deal to wire it on top, I may just get one that fits the space on the side.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Mike -

Mount the radio where it fits best and is easily accessible. For the audio challenge, I added an external speaker a few years ago and it is SOOOO much better. I just used a cheap 4" inch speaker from West Marine and mounted is on the wall behind my helm chair. The difference in sound is awesome... highly recommend this addition and it's probably one of the lowest costing upgrades you can do on a boat! :)

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The external speakers are sooooooo much better .. though I don't have one on my Albin.

I had the room so mine is mounted flush in the upper right helm and works well there (picture below). As mentioned mounting above in the upper right corner below the wire chase works great too if there is no footprint on the helm.

To mount above, run the wires through the chase above the sliding windows accessed from behind the panel at the wetbar sink. I found running wires through this chase worked best using two string pulls; one from behind the panel to the round cover outsie under the rooftop overhang and one from the overhang to the starboard side windscreen wiper wiring access.

20200126_124407.jpg
20200126_124537.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My location 28TE and the mic is hung on the right and I can grab it and hold it up to my ear if underway and I need to hear the chatter...
Simrad.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Here's a picture that I had in my files showing a 31TE with its VHF mounted above and beneath the wire chase as I described above.

31TE VHF Radio Location.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Electronics”