• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Maptech Laptop GPS

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Maptech Laptop GPS

Post by Fortunate »

I purchased a Maptech chart kit this year. Along with the paper charts came a CD that the manual indicated I could use with a laptop and GPS reciever.

To those of you using this setup, how do you like it? What type of reciever have you got?

I am also in the process of upgrading my laptop and am wondering if I go this route if a 17" screen is a better way to fo than 14-15"

Any advice would be appreciated.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would recommend using a higher-end charting software like Nobeltec or RayTech (preferred if you have Raytheon electronics). Maptec's free software is really just a chart viewer. To my knowledge, it won't do sophisticated tasks like chart quilting, or radar overlay. The higher-end pieces of software do.

Now, if you don't already have a chartplotter, and are currently using just paper charts, the Maptec program is a good way to take advantage of the free raster charts and dip your feet into the world of electronic chartplotting.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Fortunate,
I have the same CD. It came with my chart book. I have used it and it's o.k. for basic stuff. I have a 99.00, USB, GPS that work's pretty good. I use it mainly in the car with the Streets and Trips software. But, it does work with that CD as well.
I don't use my laptop on board for chart plotting. Since I have the convertible it wouldn't last very long. I still prefer the marine chart plotters. I don't want to mess with a laptop "on deck".
We use it in the cabin to watch DVDs and to update our trip log.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

On my prior boat I used a software mapping program for years called Fugawi. It allows you to use many chart formats for viewing them, building waypoints, routes, capturing tracks, it even worked with Google earth realtime (nice feature). This all worked excellent with my Garmin sysytem.
On the Albin I now have a Raymarine "C" system. The Ray's units communicate via a proprietary "seatalk" system (a modified async platform). But there is a standard async input/output from the display and even though Raymarine does not say they support it, I have been able to upload and download waypoints and routes via my pc and also have the PC take realtime lat/long positions and keep tracks.
I dont use my PC regularly, but I do all of my waypoint and route work on the pc and the "push" it up to the Ray system. I did look into getting the Raymarine software as it would act just like a real display, but I believe you need to "E" series (had I known...) and its not cheap. I would never leave my laptop in the pilot house, but I have thought about getting a small LCD screen and run a VGA to the cabin.
Overall I am very happy with the Ray system, but they did not build it to be open, I have told this to Raymarine but I guess not too many people are looking to do this, OR once you have 1 piece you are kind of tied to them to buy the rest. Not sure if all of them do this...

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Raymarine's electronics are really just prettied-up versions of their military systems. As a general mentality, the idea is that it shouldn't be very "open". Security is big to them. Even though that isn't necessary in the civilian world, there is a lot of trickle down. Their systems are incredibly rugged, and thus, rather expensive. The "C" system is a less expensive alternative for those that don't need interopability over multiple displays.

We are still running the old HSB system with three displays, and while I do drool every time I see a "C" or "E" system, I like the familiarity and reliability of the system we have. It's not cutting edge, but it has all the features we need.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

While I do like the Ray products, I cant comment on how they came to be, a military background may have something to do with it. When I spoke to a Ray Sales engineer once and asked him why I have to use Navionics maps, and why cant I use a standard vector or rastor (ones that I own) . He said its probably a company decision and an "open" format would create more support calls. They have their reasons.
I dont think I will need new electronics for years (darn :( ) but next time I will be looking for some open format with Ethernet connections.

BTW when I referred to Async in a previous post, I was referring to the NEMA format, and you can do some basic slow speed stuff with it.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I believe the new "E" series Raymarine units use a standard ethernet connection, rather than a specialize unit. However, I don't know if they use TCP/IP, so I doubt you can use just any intenet hub to connect them. I know Raymarine sells a special hub.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Mariner I am pretty sure its standard Ethernet because you are able to plug your laptop into the hub to run their software.
Now as far as the protocol (language) running on this little network.... not sure if its IP, because that would require a device to be a "server" to give out IPs to the clients... I would be willing to bet its a Layer 2 protocol like Netbios or something like that.
I just finished reading an article in Passage Maker magazine where one guy of a 50ft'r has a network switch for cameras, servers, networked printers and wireless APs.
My 28te does not need all of this, but 1 laptop with its own wireless card and interfacing to the GPS will suffice. I also use the laptop (with its internet access card) to watch TV "slingbox style" and it works fairly well.
I will say that while I have the boat to get away from all of this, I find I cant stop. :?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I will say that while I have the boat to get away from all of this, I find I cant stop.
I have been doing this so long it's second nature. I keep saying the boat is my escape from IT but it just doesn't happen. My clients still "find" me.
John
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:
I will say that while I have the boat to get away from all of this, I find I cant stop.
I have been doing this so long it's second nature. I keep saying the boat is my escape from IT but it just doesn't happen. My clients still "find" me.
You have to look at it from the positive side. Since we have all of this technology there are now days we get to play on the boat and still get that hour of work done that would normally require heading in to the office. Firing off a couple of e-mails and then dropping the mooring and heading out isn't a bad life!! And I can't tell you how many conference calls I've taken from the middle of Long Island Sound. (Every now and then it's fun to tell the others on the call exactly where I am!! :wink: )
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I bring my laptop and cell phone so that I can take a longer vacation, whether it be on the boat or on the beach in Mexico. If it means that every day I have to take an hour or two to respond to emails or make calls, so be it. The other 22 hours are spent vacationing, rather than in my office. And if I'm doing something that I truly don't want interupted, I just turn off the phone and ignore the laptop. It's not hard to do. Just the same as if I'm in the middle of a movie at home, or in a meeting with clients. Cell phones, blackberries, and laptops are not "leashes", but rather tools that give me more freedom.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Mariner wrote: Cell phones, blackberries, and laptops are not "leashes", but rather tools that give me more freedom.
It sounds like most are consultants and or own their own biz. I am management for an ISP and they expect everyone to be on call 7x24 (its in the job description). We are loaded up with blackberrys, wireless laptops, heck I have 2 different Internet providers to my house. They dont abuse it too often but it is a leash. Then on the other side of the coin it does allow me to get away while still being in touch (ie.. work from the boat sometimes). Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Ahhh.. how did we get from boat talk to work talk :shock:

I guess I am missing boat time already !!

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lifestyle

Post by RicM »

I have been very fortunate to have spent a 29 year career doing what other folks do for a hobby, photography and video production. One of the things about running my own business is if the fish are running, weather and tide is good then I just go. My new favorite item is the iPhone. I set my office phone to forward to the cell. I can receive and return e-mail as long as I'm in cell range. I just have to shut down the engine so people don't figure out where I am (I just say "On Location"). I've been missing my boat time since the week I hauled out.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Ahhh.. how did we get from boat talk to work talk

I guess I am missing boat time already !!
I call it grumpy time. After Christmas and New Year when things calm down. Then the boredom sets in from mid-January through February. I start to wake up in March. I guess it's really not that far away.
John

Return to “Electronics”