• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shoot thru transducer?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Shark
Mate
Mate

Shoot thru transducer?

Post by Shark »

Does anyone have a shoot thru-hull transducer? I understand that Albin went to using a foam cored hull (Airex) around 2000. Typically, a shoot thru transducer requires a solid fiberglass lay-up. However, I've spoken to a couple of different reputable, certified installation companies that claim to have successfully installed shoot-thru transducers in Albins post 2000 model year. I intend to ask them for specific references, however, I was curious if anyone out there has a shoot-thru (or tried one that would not work based on the cored hull).

Thanks!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Shark,

I don't have a shoot-thru but I did install a large thru-hull (Airmar) in my 1997 TE last year. To do that I had to remove some of the inner skin and core (balsa), which I then built up with West System and filler. It really wasn't all that difficult, just some careful use of a hole saw.

I would think you could do much the same, and create a consistent area for your transducer to shoot thru, avoiding any issues with reflections from the core.

Just a thought.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by muscrat »

I installed one on my 28, it's port of the centerline about 3 inches, and about 1 foot aft of the bulkhead under the helm. Its a raymarine with the glue down cup that you add mineral oil to. Never looses bottom at all speeds and good resolution for fish and bait.
Shark
Mate
Mate

shoot thru

Post by Shark »

Thanks to you both-

Muscrat,
What year is your 28? Do you recall if you/they had to fish around and test for a good spot to mount it, or was it working well on the very first try?
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by muscrat »

Mine's a 96.. First try worked ok, There is another transducer installed by the previous owner that is directly under the helm seat next to the intake for the head and that one doesn't work well at all.
Shark
Mate
Mate

2000 model year

Post by Shark »

I was afraid of that...although the foam core had been used in Albins for quite some time, it is my understanding that they didn't start putting the foam core in the bottom of the hull until 2000 model year. Mine is a new 2007, so I may still have a problem.

Anyone else with a shoot thru after 2000 model year??

Thanks!
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

This is interesting because the hulls were cored with balsa before 2000 and I was under the impression that the shoot through transducers would not work with any cored hull. If you find you need the thru hull type of transducer I recommend the Airmar tilted element transducers that avoid anything sticking out of the hull to get damaged on lifts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Shark -

I added a cheap ($80) teleflex depth gauge with a shoot-thru xducr last year after my fancy Interphase sounder went belly-up in the unfamiliar waters of Tangier Sound 100 nm from home (thank goodness for electronic charting).

I installed the cheapo Airmar shoot-thru xducr that came with the gauge only about 24" from the thru-hull xducer just to port of the keel line, near where the seacocks for the A/C and generator are on my boat. Works great - no interference with the Interphase (when it decides it wants to work). The teleflex gauge is not a fishfinder/sounder, but just a digital guage that I put in the 2" dash hole where the clock was. Now I never know what time it is, but I know how much water is under me.

Not certain, but I'm pretty sure that particular area is solid glass and the coring starts a few more inches outboard of the centerline. In any case, it works fine on my particular installation. It's pretty easy to test the placement by following the instructions included with the transducer - i.e. putting it in a plastic bag filled with water against the hull while noting performance on the sounder.
Shark
Mate
Mate

Sounder

Post by Shark »

Thanks Merry Kate,

You actually helped me out on another front...I was considering a forward scanning sonar from Interphase, but your comment about troublesome operation echoes much of the research I've come up with.

Thanks again.
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Shark -

The Interphase actually gave me good service for almost 11 years. The head unit turned out to be fine - Interphase tested it and even repaired a small pixel problem in the display for free. They deserve a good reputation for customer service.

The transducers only have so many hours before they start to give out. A new xducr will cost as much as a new unit, so I will replace the whole thing with updated technology when I haul out this spring.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I have been looking at pics taken while boat shopping last year and see only a few boats had green paint where Albin put the solid fills in the hull.
I would guess that the area that is solid would work much better than the cored areas, on my own boat I do not have these markings. After thinking about it, I will be going down with a wall stud sensor to see if I can detect it. There should be one in the battery area (where A/C through hull should be).

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
MARINE ELECTRICIAN
Swabby
Swabby

Post by MARINE ELECTRICIAN »

I install marine electronics for a living (Marine Electrician Inc.). I'm ABYC certified and have been doing this for years. A shoot thru the hull transducer doesn't belong in a Albin. The core hull will definetly affect the performance. Spend the time and a little extra money and get a thru hull (tilted element) transducer.

Tony Trapani
Marine Electrician Inc.
516-455-6500

2004 28' TE (and loving it).
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Sox Fan

Post by Legacy »

Hi Reallybigyankeefan! Really appreciate your input on the thru hull transducer based on your experience. I suspect your expertise will be tapped into frequently on this board. Good luck with Pavano's return.

Go Sox!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

Return to “Electronics”