• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AM/FM radio

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jgolm

AM/FM radio

Post by jgolm »

Lost power to my AM/FM radio and cannot find where the fuse would be in the boat. I know that there is little standardization, but it is a 2005 Albin 28TE and the wire is yellow with a purple(?) stripe. Any thoughts? The radio is in the cabin starboard side above the closet door.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

They may have changed over the years but in my 97 model the wiring harness for the radio can be accessed by removing the AC/heat grill plate on top of the clothes locker and just behind the radio. My guess is the fuse holder is in with that nest of wires.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
tlinson
Gold Member
Gold Member

radio

Post by tlinson »

I'd be real careful with the wiring. Yellow is marine ground I don't know about a purple stripe. I would check the fuse and trace back the wiring. Stray current can cause alot of damage. Good luck...
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

wiring

Post by RicM »

HA! After spending the weekend rewireing the AC and DC bus bars next to the electrical panel to make way for additional electronics, I have seen no evidence of yellow/dc ground. All appear black.

My Sony stereo was installed in the same place, and was such a piece of crap I have ripped it out and gave to a local juvenile delinquint that I hope sold it for street drugs. It was an automotive model with electronic push buttons for everything, and no means to dial in a specific numerical frequency! When underway the slightest impact due to wave action would cause the touch sensitive on/off button to reset, turning the unit off then on again when it would scan for the nearest strong frequency. Drove me crazy. Also all the wiring was run within inches of the closet rod, meaning that cloths hung in the locker ended up hanging on the stereo wiring about 60% of the time. Apparently no one at Albin had heard of tie wraps either.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Radio

Post by Butch »

Check behind the Medicine cabinet in the head. $200.00 later that is where an electrician found the fuse to my radio.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My fuse is in the same place as Butch.
My wires are the same as RicM. Cleaning up that wiring is on my spring list. I'd like to replace my radio but I'm too lazy to mess around with the helm remote. I don't think Albin installed the radios. My guess is some car stereo company. The wiring seems to be an after thought.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
soundguy
Mate
Mate

Post by soundguy »

I have a 2001 28 TE, and hte radio goes on and of when hitting a decent wake, changing the channel, or rummaging through the closet. Pain in the butt! When my unit would turn off, it wouldn't go back on. I too though it was the fuse, but it turned out to be a ground connection in the radio wiring harness! GOOD LUCK!
Capt. Jay
2001 Albin 28 TE
"LUCKY 7 II"
South Amboy, NJ
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Re: AM/FM radio

Post by fairtide »

I have a Sony unit that has a CD player built into it and the location is where the other repliers stated it is. I had a problem with no sound coming from the port speaker in the cockpit. I figured the worse, of course, but did not start tearing things apart. On day, I found that the wiring block within the hanging locker was not making good contact with the rear of the unit. As mentioned in another reply, the hanger-rod in the locker is close to the wires and in getting something off a hanger, the block must have be moved. In your case, it may be that the stereo is not being powered due to a loose connection that is easy to fix if you use a mirror and small flashlight to illuminate the back of the stereo.

Return to “Electronics”