• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mapping software

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Mapping software

Post by jcollins »

What do you use?
I have tried MapCreate. Got it from Santa. Tried it once and it wouldn't install on Vista. I downloaded the updated version and got the software to load but then the drivers for the card reader would not work with Vista. I spent a couple of hours. Not worth the time going forward. LEi-Extras will not accept a return on opened software? How can I test it if I can't open it?

Next I purchased and installed Navplanner. Works but very cumbersome and has an "80's' feel. Not what I expected or hoped for.

Next I download the Raymarine software. It looked o.k. but won't work with Lowrance.

Next I downloaded the trial version of Tiki Navigator. This one is better but I have been unable to save routes to my chip. This may be a limitation of the trial version.

I'm "in the business" and work with many different software packages every week. These compaines are producing great products but seem to fall down on the software end of things. In the 80s and 90s I would spend many hours or days getting a product to work. I refuse to do that now.

I'm just wondering what you guys are using...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey John. Can you elaborate on what these programs do. I use the cartography/programing from my garmin units (on the small center console).....the same charts/program are on my computer so I can create routes etc. and then transfer them to my gps.

On the 28TE we have Raymarine, but we have no computer program interface for it.

Cheers.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

EA,
These program will allow you to do a few things.

1.) Create routes, waypoints, etc. and transfer via USB card reader to a chip and then transfer from the chip to your GPS.

2.) You can connect your laptop via ethernet network to your GPS (if you have the network module) and display your GPS info on your laptop. If you don't have the ethernet network you can use nmea connection via your serial port. Same as above but routes, waypoints, ets. would be transfered direct to the GPS. Obviously this is something you do in a pilot house or cabin. I understand this to be an extension of what your GPS already does. Just easier to work on routes via laptop than create them on the GPS itself.

3.) You can control your auto-pilot via your laptop and the above mentioned eithernet network.

Personally all I want to #1. Create the routes on my laptop and transfer to the GPS. I still wouldn't trust XP or Vista if I'm in the middle of navigating an unfamiliar creek or harbor. I can see it now "stop the boat, I have to reboot the laptop"
John
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Wow! So is Garmin the only company these days that provides its own computer software (i.e. not having to use a third party program)?
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Most companies offer something. Raymarine has a free version and a paid version of their software.
The Mapcreate that is sold from Lowrance was very disappointing.
Did Garmin provide the software at no charge?

Most of these programs utilize the free charts from NOAA. The charts are fine. The software is the culprit. Terrible design on most of the lower end products. I don't want to pay 500-700 for a piece of software for something that I'm just going to use once in awhile. If I was doing the Great Loop or something like that it may be worth it.
The latest product I'm looking at is Tiki-Navigator. The author/owner supports directly and has responded to my emails within a reasonable amount of time. This one is not bad.

There is a good review of navigation software at http://www.madmariner.com
The offer a 30 day trial membership at no charge.
John
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

First I am a big fan of Garmin. Don't know why really, I guess it's because I never had a problem with any gps I bought from them (5 so far).

Once the gps on the 28TE gets past its time I'll probably go with a Garmin.

Anyway, to answer your question. The software came with the purchase of the electronic cartography. Now, I am running Garmin's older cartography, bluechart. Replaced by Bluechart g2, and Bluechart g2 vision.

My programing is basic, but I have no complaints. The charts I see on my plotter are on the computer. I can create routes etc and swap back and forth.

I'm not sure about their newer cartography programs, but I've heard they are better.

Sorry I can't help at all.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I use a package called Fugawi as in.... where the Fugawi :shock:
I primarily use the software to look at maps, create waypoints and then move them to the GPS.
I used to have a Gamin GPS unit and this allowed waypoints (with icons), routes & tracks to be uploaded and downloaded. Everything was done from the software. Garmin is very open to there interface and it is published and most work via USB.
I now have a Raymarine system and it is not as flexible. I can still create waypoints and routes but you have to be in front of GPS and push buttons to switch modes, ect... I can still push and pull waypoints but where I used to do everything from the software now I have to push buttons on the Raymarine system to accept.
I ran a cable from the NMEA interface on my C series to the cabin where I put on a DB9 async end. The NMEA interface also allows LAT/LONG coordinates to be sent out of the GPS and I have split the signal, one goes to my DSC VHF for emergencies (another topic) and one goes to cabin. I can have my laptop on and "see" the boat move around on the map. One other cool feature is that if your laptop has Internet access you can overlay Google earth pictures real time.
There are other packages that allow more things but at the time I thought this was a good middle of the road package for me and it has worked well.

http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/fuga ... igator.htm

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Here is a press announcement about Faira acquiring Maptech. Perhaps things will get better.

UNCASVILLE, Conn. – The Thomas G. Faria Corp. and its marine division, Faria Marine Instruments, have acquired the right, title and interest of certain marine-related software products from Maptech Inc. of Amesbury, Mass., the company reported in a recent statement.

The two companies first started working together in late 2005, when they signed an agreement to work together in developing a range of new product offerings.

The purchased software is currently utilized by Faria in its suite of Maestro touch screen navigational products, the company explained. Faria has hired several former Maptech engineers, it added.

“We are enthusiastic about having completed this acquisition,” said Faria President David Blackburn, “and we feel that owning these software platforms will allow us to take this technology to the next level – a process that has been underway for some time now but I expect will accelerate under our ownership.”
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I guess I should add that I have been reviewing Tiki Navigator. Not bad but not great either. It's still a little cumbersome to use and it requires a third-party app (EasyGPS) to export to the chip.
John
StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by StockHR »

If you have a Mac laptop this is the best software you can get. I use it and it work perfect. You use the NOAA charts for free. Also, I just lay the GPS puck on the helm and no problems.
GPSNavX Here is the link http://www.gpsnavx.com/

Mike
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Thanks Mike

Post by Legacy »

I'll give the MAC product a try.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Eavesdropping

Post by RicM »

Overheard this thread and was surprised that there was such an app for the Mac. I downloaded the GPSNavX (raster charts only) and a bunch of free charts, and it's pretty impressive for the money. I have not tried interfacing with my GPS yet, but plan on trying soon.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I have never been a MAC guy but that new laptop is looking pretty nice. Airbook?
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mac Laptops

Post by RicM »

I use both Macs & PC's. Mac's are better for graphic related tasks, we edit video & still photography on them. PC are generally better for the number crunching & business collaboration. I use an Intel Mac Book Pro with the mapping software. You can boot it to Windows XP if you wish, even (with additional software) run Windows & OSX side by side. I have never had a system crash with OSX, individual software might freeze up, but you can force quit and never reboot. I have gone many months without rebooting my Mac towers.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

jcollins wrote:I have never been a MAC guy but that new laptop is looking pretty nice. Airbook?
From what I hear, it's got no hard drive and no CD ROM. I can live without the CD ROM, if there's an external one that can be used for installing software. But no hard drive.... I understand it uses flash memory instead, but it would be really easy for data to be lost. My experience with flash drives is that you can't rely on them to retain data for a long period of time.

Return to “Electronics”