• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine C-120

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Raymarine C-120

Post by irishwake »

Has anyone had problems with the Raymarine C-120 multifunction system? I have had to send mine back for repairs 4 times in 2 years. It is back in again for a total failure.Each time I lose the use of the boat for about 3 weeks.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Raymarine C-120

Post by jcollins »

irishwake wrote:Has anyone had problems with the Raymarine C-120 multifunction system? I have had to send mine back for repairs 4 times in 2 years. It is back in again for a total failure.Each time I lose the use of the boat for about 3 weeks.
I ran a quick search and didn't find much negative feedback about this unit. I was looking at it for myself before I purchased the Lowrance unit. Perhaps it's time to push for a replacement?
I'm curious though. Why can't you use your boat without it? Are you pulling the through-hull?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Portable GPS

Post by RicM »

I have a portable Garmin handheld that I use in the car and as a backup when going off shore or long trips. It's not great, but it works.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

I can use the boat! The problem is that when you don't have a depth finder,GPS,radar and a big hole in your dash it kind of takes the fun out of boating. I don't have a problem of getting home when this malfunction's but to leave the dock when nothing is working is foolish!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Wow. I'm very surprised that you've had so many failures. Are they replacing the unit each time, or simply repairing the existing one? I would seem to me that you could make an argument that they should replace it, due to so many failures. If they've been sending you replacements, you may have a problem with your wiring that is leading to the failures.

In most cases, I would say that I don't think a loss of electronics should keep you stuck at the dock. Sure, you may not want to take off on a week long vacation, or venture into unknown waters, but to literally not be able to use the boat, this seems like a stretch to me. However, if you don't have a depth sounder, and you are in an area with an unpredictable and shallow bottom, I can understand the hesitation.

This also raises an interesting issue. How wise is it to have all your electronics feed into one device? I have to admit, I'd always felt that it was preferable, but I can see the problem in that there is a lack of redundancy to the system. All it takes is for one unit to fail, and you're completely in the dark. What if it happened when you were 20 miles from port, in an unfamiliar area, at night in the middle of a storm, and you had to cross busy shipping lanes, and round a deadly reef, while passing through a strong current? Not a pretty picture. Even your old dead reckoning skills might not be good enough to keep you out of trouble.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

I have a C-120 and my auto-pilot was just replaced. System was installed 2 years ago. Warranty on parts was up March 31st this year. Auto-pilot failed March 14th on the first trip of the year. Contacted a local Raymarine dealer. He cost me two hours labor but swapped the unit on the spot with a new (factory reconditioned) one, seatrialed the auto-pilot, helped me contact Raymarine as the service was done 2 weeks after the 2 year warranty expired. Raymarine agreed to covered the equipment despite the 2 weeks past warranty without any trouble. Not a bad trade, less than $200 for three extra weekends with use of the boat. In my case, I'd still have depthfinder and radar, no gps because power to the antenna and autopilot are on the same seatalk network but using the boat wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, local dealer may cost a little but you may keep the use of your boat. Good Luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

My auto pilot was replaced on 7/07! The system is great when it works, but one part malfunctions and the whole system has problems.It is a little hard to find bottom spots without a bottom machine, so no fishing. I know the area like the back of my hand so I can go out without gps. The radar same as the gps. I always carry my Garmin 276C as a backup system.But when you spend $13000 for electronics on a new boat and they constantly fail, well to say the least it makes you a little sick. The average time for each repair is about 3 weeks.
Donya
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham

Post by Donya »

I have had 2 different C series unit systems in the past 3 years and have not had any problems other than the gps unit failed right out of the box on the first one.

Our back up is also a Garmin 276c, great little unit, won’t leave home without it!!

I also use a computer nav system also, but have had it fail when we were 300 miles from home port….:(
Don and Taunya
2003 28TE -Dog On It-
Commodore Bellingham Wheel and Keel
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

I went with the E120 last year and have not had a bad issue with it. However, the Raymarine dealer told me, that if you are coming into port and about to start slamming your bow thruster around, you may want to have your E120 powered down, to prevent any brown out issues or spikes. Most likely same advice for a C120? I am not sure how much truth there, but I have been doing this when I could.

Alan
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wiring

Post by RicM »

If your thruster drops your voltage that much then you probably need heavier wiring on your DC feed to the GPS or the thruster. I have had drop out when cranking the motor up after a drift, but only with one (the older) battery. The newer one seems to drop less. If all else fails there is a device that you can add to the GPS DC circuit like a uninteruptable power supply. It kicks in to keep the voltage up when there's a sudden short term drop in voltage.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

For what it's worth, I've never experienced a single malfunction or failure with the numerous older, HSB series Raymarine electronics I've had over the years. Perhaps they are just more rugged and reliable, as they are based on a design originally developed for the military.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

I installed a C120, auto pilot, radar and depth sounder 3 years and 450 hours ago. We have not had any problems with the system. You did not say what type of problem you had or that it has always been the same problem. But if you keep having some type of electrical malfunctions with a system I am always suspect of good grounds. I would definitely trace your grounds out and make sure they are tight and clean. Computers like good clean energy.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

C120

Post by irishwake »

The first time the GPS failed to work. The second time the depth finder would lock up and no longer function.Replaced the DSM 250/e63069. The next time the auto pilot would not work. This time they reversed C43, replaced c78 & 79 with 2 22pf caps and upgraded softwear. This time the screen stopped working while off shore. Lost all GPS,radar,depth. I received the unit back Monday afternoon and they replaced the CPU PCB, LCD/Jockey PCB. They did not charge me the $699 because the unit has been repaired so many times. It was installed yesterday and after a few hours of reprograming it appears to work. I will take it for a sea trial in the next few days.
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

C-120

Post by NJRobert »

One thing I sometimes forget to do when docking, is to turn the unit off. Whoever said it on this forum is absolutely correct. The bow thruster usually causes a big "surge". I forget because I have satellite radio, which I'm usually listening to till I dock. Thanks for reminding me what I have to do next time.

Robert
2007 28 Newport
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

GPS Drop out

Post by Capt Ron »

Ric, You mentioned a device to cure the electronics dropping out when a heavy load is placed on the electrical system. Could you please provide some detailed information?
Owner of 28' TE

Return to “Electronics”