• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

thru hull transducer

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

thru hull transducer

Post by Fortunate »

I am in the process of replacing the Hummingbird fish/depth sounder that was on its last legs when we pulled out for the season. The old unit used an in hull transducer mounted in the forward most bilge access in the closet. I am under the impression that thru hull transducers are superior to any others and would like to go this route. I do have an old (predeceser to the Hummingbird)thru hull transducer located in the engine compartment on the port side.

The question is, can I utilize this transducer for my new Uniden depth finder or should I remove it and replace it with a new one?? I have fears about opening up the hull, even if I am refilling a hole that already exists.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Kim,
We recently had a discussion about that same thing. I ended up having a through-hull installed in mine. I originally asked the guy to try and use the existing one (hole) that came with the boat. He couldn't. Ended up installing the new just forward of the old one. Given my shallow-draft area of boating I'm happy. I now have two depth gauges. If one fails...I have a backup.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Install a new one that comes rated for the unit, don't risk it, especially with new electronics, and a new investment.

Mine is located aft, by the shaft, works like a charm. Was watching baitballs of alewives in 100 feet of water yesterday.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie

Return to “Electronics”