• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Batteries in a 28TE flush

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Batteries in a 28TE flush

Post by NJRobert »

I own a 28TE Newport Edition. There are two batteries on the boat. One is directly under the center dry hatch on the deck. Very easy to get to and check. The other is located under the flooring, starboard side, between the engine hatch and a starboard dry hatch. Very difficult to work with and the only way to check the water level, is to use a mirror.

Am I missing something here, or was this an Albin "screw-up" when they made the design? Sooner or later I will need to change this battery. Any ideas?

Thanks
Robert
2007 28 Newport
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I also have a 2007 Newport with the same battery arrangement, however the small battery is a maintenance-free battery that does not require checking or topping off the water level.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Robert,
I have seen a few posts about the location of that battery. When replacing consider the sealed batteries. I just purchased two of the Odyssey batteries last year for starting. Peninsular recommends two. I have a third for the house. All three of mine are on the starboard side. I have the engine box model. Easy to get to. And...yes, I have the starboard list.

A bit pricey, but no maintenance.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Batteries

Post by NJRobert »

Thank you both for the reply. Both of my batteries are about the same size. Replacing with maintainence free (when the time comes) will be well worth the effort. I would assume that to remove the one under the floor on the starboard side, one has to unscrew it from the base holder and "slide" it out towards the center battery? I assume that Albin positioned it there to sort of maintain some sort of "balance" when the boat sits in the water?
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

battery maintanence

Post by RicM »

My 03 motorbox has 2 batteries, one easier to get to than the other. In the more convenient position is a regular wet cell but I have only had to add water once or twice a year. If you have to check and fill regularly you might be overcharging, or charging too fast. The charger on my boat which runs pretty much all the time on shore power is set to the slowest charging time. This reduces heat and evaporation of water from the battery.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

No you are not missing anything. The second battery option was obviously an afterthought ... and they didn't put much thought into it. :idea:

Hanging upside down with a mirror is the only way to check the water levels. I use a miniature turkey baster to bring the levels up if needed.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
MARINE ELECTRICIAN
Swabby
Swabby

Post by MARINE ELECTRICIAN »

It's not as hard as it seems. First, remove the stainless support strut (three screws). Now open the starboard in floor locker and remove the liner. Next you have to either lift the battery over the wood trim that keeps it from sliding arround or remove this piece ( i find it easier to remove). Albin was smart enough to make the battery cables plenty long so you could easily pull the battery all the way out. It is helpful is you have a second person. Because of inverter demands I've replaced both of my batteries with d 8's. They are heavy.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

It's strange to hear all the different battery arraigngments in almost the very same boat. In my 94 28TE, I have three batteries on the centerline, just aft of the bulkhead. They are in battery boxes and are very easy to check or remove and I do not have any list. Why would they move something that works and is easily accessable?
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Electronics”