• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

marine galvanic isolator, for Albin 28TE?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
fuenstock
First Mate
First Mate

marine galvanic isolator, for Albin 28TE?

Post by fuenstock »

Hello,
I just changed my zincs and found they were extremly worn in a short time. I have read some about Galvanic isolaters and think its a good option to reduce zinc wear. I have read that they were not common to have an isolator installed from the Albin factory. I am sure I don't have one, or it is well hidden. Any idea where I might find it if there was one on the Albin? Can any body recomend a good marine galvanic isolator?
Thanks ,
2005 Albin 28TE flush deck
Yanmar 315 6lp-stp.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: marine galvanic isolator, for Albin 28TE?

Post by RicM »

There are no manufacturers, to my knowledge, that install galvanic isolators as a matter of course. Most will install as an option. If there is one in your Albin it was probably installed as an aftermarket add on. They are easy to install and not terribly expensive.

http://www.newmarpower.com/AC_Shore_Pow ... ories.html
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I know its posted in detail somewhere but basically all a galvanic isolator does is block DC (current) from the boat to the electric ground leg on the dock via the shore power cord. That kills zincs.
As Rick said most isolators are installed AFTER a issue arises. Although my zincs last all season, all it would take is the guy next to me or the electric on the docks to have a problem and it could go through them fast. I should put one is before an issue comes up too...I will add it to the list also :?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If you remove the panel above the port berth on a 28TE and a small panel at the back of the berth you can see the shore power line from the inlet to the control panel. If there is an isolator it will be in that line. I had the Newmar isolator model GI-30 installed last year. I purchased it from http://www.svendsensmarine.com/Newmar_G ... lvanic.htm It is located on a fiberglass liner against the hull just above the panel over the berth.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
fuenstock
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fuenstock »

Well, I checked and I don't have a galvanic isolator installed. looks like one more item on the never ending, to do list!
happy boating.
fuenstock.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would do some research and try to track down whatever is causing the excessive wear on the zincs, rather than just install a G.I., which will only mask the larger problem.

Return to “Electronics”