• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

just ordered a Honda 2000 Companion generator

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: just ordered a Honda 2000 Companion generator

Post by RicM »

We got the companion this past season and found it to be a great addition when cruising. Even though we seldom anchor up for more than a single night without running the engine. We just use the shore power cord to light up the whole boat (03 28 TE) for breakfast and to top off the batteries. Keep it behind the mate's seat, and run it on the swim platform. I don't carry ANY gas except what's in it. It's supposed to run up to 15 hours on the internal supply. More than enough current for our uses. Best of all, when you don't need it you don't need to carry it around. Also, it makes me sleep better during these winter blizzards knowing it's in the basement if I need it. Be sure to use stabilizer in the gas though, they don't like ethanol. That tip from the dealer (you won't get that on eBay).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We have the Honda 3000 installed on our fly bridge with a removable box built around it - the box serves as a cocktail/coffee table when the generator is not in use. The dealer told us to use at least 89 octane gas in it - not only do they not like the ethanol but the octane rating is important too.
Marcy K A 34 Paumanok
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

You should absolutely have stabilizer in the gas. Also you should keep the tank of the gen empty until you plan yo use it. After about a month the gas starts to break down, esp in warm weather. Stabilizer might double that time.
At home I always put stabilizer in my gas for the mower and now the snowblower. After about 2 months anything left over gets dumped into my truck and I put fresh gas in a can for the equipment.
Same applies to the dinghy outboard engine...2 or 4 cycle.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I lost power earlier this year for 5 days and it would have really been in a bad situation without my 2000i. It ran the heat (gas heat but it needs power for the ignition and circulator pumps), refrigerator, some lights and a small TV. I think it holds about 1 gal of gas and that lasted for about 7-8 hours on the eco setting. The admiral was even able to use the hairdryer in the morning (had to shut off the coffee maker first :( ).
Many my want more power but in my opinion it is very important to have a device that is good on fuel, for the short time frames when you need it you find you can do without...

It just happens to be in the back of my truck right now because a co-worker lost power during this blizzard and was worried about pipes freezing (luckily he got power back last night)
2001 28TE - Doghouse
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

We as well have a 2000 as backup to our solar panels. Dealer said we would find it really quiet. What a joke. Thing is noisier than 4 squirrels chasing acorns.
To keep the run time down I find an amphour monitor the very best tool to know when your batteries are charged and they are much less money than they used to be. (A voltmeter doesn't do the job).
I agree with not using fuel with ethanol in it and I think that only regular gas has ethanol in it. Maybe someone else could confirm that. We have stations that sell marine gas which is mid grade fuel without road tax on it.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

"Quiet" is a subjective word. Run next to just about any other generator, portable or installed, in the anchorage it will be quiet by comparison. Next to solar panels, it will of course, seem noisy. I use a portable digital multi-meter with a cigarette lighter plug on it. When at anchor I plug it in and monitor the volts under load. Overnight with the fridge, lights, and using the head etc the voltage drops from about 12.8 fully charged to about 12.5. 20-30 minutes with the Honda 2000 on to make breakfast and they are topped up for another 24 hours. Of course if we are moving every day, or leaving the anchorage to go fishing, that is not necessary.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

A lesson I learned from the boys up in Northen Canada who,s lives depend on their generators snowmoblies and outboards . Spend the money and buy the better stabilizer . Yes there is a difference , The big thing is to when you are finished with your motor for 2 weeks or 2-4 months is when you shut dwn just turn the gas shutoff valve to off and let it run out of gas . This drains the carb and prevents what is called waxing of the carb . The additives and ethanol sitting in the carb will fourm a wax and gum everthing up and cause all your starting problems . Or drain the carb through the drain screw on the bottom of the carb .

Return to “Electronics”