• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Through hull transducer location

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Through hull transducer location

Post by jcollins »

John,
I did not mean to hijack this thread. I do not have moderator control of this forum - should we break it up?
Naw...don't worry about it. (unless the moderator jumps in) :)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

furball wrote:Denis,
My transducers performs about the same as Pitou, I lose it at higher speeds in the chop.
Here's a photo of the location.
I think if you can move closer to the centerline, you'll keep bottom better at 16-18knots.
Good Luck
John
Pitou wrote:Rob,
Thanks for the pics. It appears your transducer is further into the bilge on the other side of the stringer than my set-up. Looking forward to seeing yours at the NE Rendezvous .... next year is electronics replacement time and I need a better FF/Sounder and want to do everything I can to keep it reading accutately.
RobS wrote:Installed a new Furuno FCV620 fishfinder and thru-hull transducer with high speed fairing block. Works extremely well - keeps a solid depth reading including very low water and at all speeds. Was checking WOT and was reading 3ft of water at over 22knots :shock: Solid readings at 1.75ft, 1.80ft, etc when i'm idling back in.

Very happy with the ducer and the the fishfinder. Here's some pics to show the ducer and it's location. This is an engine box model and it's mounted just fwd of the plywood bulkhead btwn the engine compartment and the battery area and down deep towards the centerline.
Pitou wrote: have decided against the fairing block transducer and have gone with the new puck in the same location as the old transducer, port of the port stringer in the rear of the cockpit hatch next to the engine box. We'll see how she performs.
Well after all my angst about the transducer location, re-reading this entire thread, printing out Rob's pics, staring at them all day on my desk in between trying to get some work done and reviewing the installation instructions for the tilted element (6-12 inches from centerline)I headed to the boatyard at 3 PM to find the fiberglass guy arriving to prep the old ducer hole for the new one. Just in the nick before any work started I pulled the plug on the old location and moved the new transducer location forward of the engine and so much closer to the centerline as in Rob's.

This has been a good thread with great discussion with the sharing of information which is what the AOG is all about. Thanks to all for your photos and input, which got me off the stump to install a new transducer & FF/Sounder this season as opposed to next.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

The new Ducer is in and mounted 9 inches from the centerline, port side, forward of the engine .... same as Robs. The FCV 620 is on a ram mount on the overhead. All I can say is Sweeeeeeeeet! Rob .... I'm loving this set-up! :wink: I did decide to go with the new flushmount angled transducer and the readings seem just fine. No fairing block.

For the 1st time since owning this boat, no matter what the sea state I do not lose my sounder reading! Our inlet has quite the bar to run ... on the ebb, after a plus 2.7 I am shut out of the river. 8 to 10 foot tides in my neck of the woods. Thanks all .... great thread and wish that I had done this sooner. 8)

BTW .... the glass guy cut out a 5 X 5 to accept the new transducer. Using a disc cutter he cut throught the inner skin and then throught the wood core ( about 1 1/4 inches of wood core) and stopped when he came to the exterior skin. To seal the core the 5 X 5 was filled with glass and west system to prepare for drilling the ducer hole. With this method there is no chance of water intrusion to the core. Install took a little longer than I would have cared for, but all in all a 1st class job done in the end.
Transducer.jpg
Transducer 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Pitou on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sounds great, post some pics if you can. Glad to help, even from a few hundred miles away :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:.... and then throught the wood core ( about 1 1/4 inches of wood core)
BTW, I thought sometime btwn 1999 and 2000 the hull coring was changed to a high density foam core except for a few areas around the engine stringers?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Pitou wrote:.... and then throught the wood core ( about 1 1/4 inches of wood core)
BTW, I thought sometime btwn 1999 and 2000 the hull coring was changed to a high density foam core except for a few areas around the engine stringers?
I thought so too and was told at time of purchase thet I had the new Airex coring. Apparantly not. Here is the article on Albin's new coring which unfortuneately is not dated. http://www.albinmarine.com/Press/Airex%20Artical.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

RobS wrote:Installed a new Furuno FCV620 fishfinder and thru-hull transducer with high speed fairing block. Works extremely well - keeps a solid depth reading including very low water and at all speeds. Was checking WOT and was reading 3ft of water at over 22knots :shock: Solid readings at 1.75ft, 1.80ft, etc when i'm idling back in.

Very happy with the ducer and the the fishfinder. Here's some pics to show the ducer and it's location. This is an engine box model and it's mounted just fwd of the plywood bulkhead btwn the engine compartment and the battery area and down deep towards the centerline.
So RobS,
1) Was there wood core where you installed your transducer?
2) If so, how did you handle the install, replace the wood with glass?
I have a 2000 28TE and will have the yard installing a ducer next week, right now it has a Furuno transon mount unit.

THANKS
OldDemps
San Francisco
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

It was a remove and replace of an existing transducer. I checked the area around the hole and it was dry and rock solid so I chose to leave it alone.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Electronics”