• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Laptops for Marine navigation

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Laptops for Marine navigation

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

I plan on buying a laptop for use on my boat this season to sync up with my GPS. Any suggestions on what qualities the computer should have as far as memory? Speed? Hardware? I will probably want to use it at home as well, but want it to be able to act as a chart plotter once I buy the software. Suggestions on software are appreciated as well. Maybe "most" laptops are sufficient?
Thanks
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Re: Laptops for Marine navigation

Post by mhanna »

Jeff I think what matters most is meeting the hardware requirements for the software you plan on running. As you stated below most laptops may meet the needs but you should not buy the laptop until you know what you plan (the software) on doing with it.
Example, you may need serial ports (NMEA) to talk to your hardware, OR depending on your chartplotter, ect.. there could be very specific needs. I know for Raymarine you can buy their special software to do many things with their E series. My C-series Raymarine does not work via ethernet (the common LAN jack on most laptops) and I do not have a serial port on my laptop so I had to buy a USB to serial adapter. They also do not have laptop software for the C series so I found 3rd party. A little clunky but it works. I dont have a Garmin but I believe they can do the same (may depend on model).
For location I leave the laptop down below on my 28TE there is no room to leave it on the dash, I have though about running an external monitor from the laptop to the dash area but then I need mouse and keyboard support, ect.. and that would require a laptop with external monitor support (most do but here are requirements again).
Of course I have a wireless laptop so when in range of wifi I can use it to surf the net, ect..

Here is what I would start with
1) Identify your existing hardware (GPS, chartplotter, ect) see what that company offers as far as software. Buying software written by the same company that produces your hardware will most likely work more reliably and will have more options than a 3rd party.
If they dont offer software then start looking at 3rd party.
2)After identifying Software needs, see what hardware requirements they have.
3)Identify what else you may use the laptop for at home.
4)Then shop for a laptop with the requirements above.

You could just grab an on-sale laptop and then try to make it work, but there will probably be a time when you try to do something and say "DARN" if I only bought that with it, it would have been easier....

Good Luck and let us know how its going...
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Electronics”