• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Furuno Navnet VX1

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Furuno Navnet VX1

Post by Russell »

Maybe everyone already knows this but I just found out that the old Navnet VX1 can be converted from Navionics Classic chips to C-Map NT+W by just a software change. The Navionics Classic chips contain very little area so you have to purchase several of them and they have not been updated since 2001. In addition the color choices were selected by someone who must have been color blind. The water can be white or black. The land can be hideous shades of purple, red or a bright green. The C-Map chart looks like a real chart with a lot more labeled features and the single chip I purchased covers Norfolk to Bermuda down to Jacksonville Florida. I just reinstalled it today and am more than pleased. The software change was one hour of time at $85.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Stanley

Re: Furuno Navnet VX1

Post by Stanley »

Hi Russell, Thanks for this very useful piece of info as Navionics charts are very hard to get in our neck of the woods. (Or should I say "arm of the sea")
Also furuno agent here in Auckland, New Zealand, are unsupportive of old technology and more or less wanted me to retire the Vx1 for a 3D or suffer the crappy old charts.
It was only until I applied the lever of "Russell the Albin owner in the USA" routine, did they admit they could do a software change. Sooo, once again, thanks for the heads up!
As I can't seem to get these details from the agent here, (over the phone) could you pls enlighten me to a couple of points:
*Are the new, Cmap nt+ chart cards the same size?
* Does the slot have to be changed?
*Has there been any problems since you did the change?
*What is the sufix for large area charts?
*Does the large area chart lose detail?
Sorry about the inquisition ;it sure is hard to get info locally.

The only large area navionics chart freezes the RDP-139, the others (smaller) are fine. Consequently I am totally over navionics.(Classic )
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I answered in a private email but for the interest of other readers I am still very satisfied with the change to C-MAP charts. The improvement is incredible and no change in the slot is needed. Just change the software and purchase the chip for your area.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Russ, will you send the details on how to change the software. Do I get the Furuno installer to make the change? Also when the change is made to c-map, does this software change cause any other problems with the network such as fishfinder or radar? Thanks for the idea it seems that all Furuno reps want to sell the new vx3 so they are not interested in talking about available upgrades.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I found a knowledgeable Furuno dealer that made the change for me. I took the unit to his shop and I am not sure if that is necessary. He was a good distance away and I did not want to pay the travel time which would have been more than the cost of the work. The dealer at my marina was not familiar with it but luckily in this area there are several marine electronics dealers. Call around until you find one that knows how to do it. There were no problems with the radar or the depth sounder. Even the waypoints I had stored were still there. I am still amazed at how much better it is than the Navionics Classic charts. I was so unhappy with them that I was considering changing to the VX2 but now the differences are not worth the expense.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Furuno tech support is great. Call them for good "no-sales-driven" tech advise. They are the best for supporting "yesterday's" gear. I live on the East Coast so it's nice to have the option of calling the West Coat tech dept in the evening since they are open until 5PST, 8EST. I have a VX2 setup I installed in the winter of 2008/2009 and I love it.

East Coast: 410-479-4420
West Coast: 360-834-9300
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Electronics”