• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

GPS Trouble

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

GPS Trouble

Post by Fortunate »

I have an older Standard Horizon GPS that seems to be having trouble aquiring satelites this season. I have had to power down and reboot a couple different times for it to finally locate my position. I thought I read somewhere that some satelites were going off line and others were coming on line. Will this make my unit obsolete? Any ideas?
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: GPS Trouble

Post by jcollins »

There are quite a few articles out there (Google search acquiring satellite signal problems) about the system. Updates to the system have been budgeted but of course they are short of the budget goal. Many articles say the system will breakdown in 2010 if these updates are not funded. I doubt that. It sounds like typical politico talk. At any rate you should contact your vendor. Have you applied updates since you puchased the unit? I've read these updates actually help your GPS download almanac data to make it easier to lock onto satellites. I don't think satellites going offline or coming online will make the unit obsolete.
You will need a cable, that's probably available from Horizon, to connect your laptop or desktop to the GPS to apply updates.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: GPS Trouble

Post by Russell »

If you have not checked the connection to the antenna recently it might be loose or have a little corrosion making the signal weak.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Electronics”