• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AM/FM Radio Antenna?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

AM/FM Radio Antenna?

Post by johnmurray »

My AM/FM radio is the same Sony so aptly described in earlier posts. It is located above the hanging locker and has a mass of wires hanging down from its back, over the wooden bar that serves as a clothes rack.
My problem is that I lose my favourite local radio stations as soon as I am a mile or two out of town. By reading the pamphlet that came with the boat I discovered that it is a car radio and there are instuctions about hooking it up to the car's antenna. I think that one of the wires coming out of the back of the radio (the white one) is supposed to connect with an antenna, but it is just rolled up and not connected to anything. Would I get better reception range with some kind of antenna? If so, what kind?
In a related question, the radio is described as "XM ready". I learned from reading the pamphlet that I need to install a Sony XM tuner module if I want to receive satellite radio like I have in my car (as well as add to my XM subscription). Has anyone done this? What does the module cost?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: AM/FM Radio Antenna?

Post by Mike »

We put Sirius in last year and it works great. Used the model for vehicles which is a low profile mount. It is a portable model that you can pop out and put in your boat bag. We have a docking station at home as well. Great reception, no problems.
Time Out Annapolis
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Yes, the white wire (at least on my Sony) is attached to the unit with a banana plug that you can remove from the back of the unit. The easiest way out is to by a splitter at West that attaches to your VHF antenna and then a shielded cable that goes from the splitter to the unit with that same banana plug (also available at West).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Yes, the white wire (at least on my Sony) is attached to the unit with a banana plug that you can remove from the back of the unit. The easiest way out is to by a splitter at West that attaches to your VHF antenna and then a shielded cable that goes from the splitter to the unit with that same banana plug (also available at West).
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... _sku=20219

Worked for me.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Electronics”