• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine E Series Widescreen

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Raymarine E Series Widescreen

Post by loubennett »

Raymarine's new E Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays are on display in their booth at the Annapolis Sailboat Show that runs through Monday. If you are considering an upgrade in the near future, you may want to take a look before you decide what to get. (Raymarine is not listed as an exhibitor at the Annapolis Power Boat Show, so this may be your only chance to see them for awhile) The E Series Widescreens will not be available until January, but they have some features that are pretty slick. They have a touch screen and buttons so you can control it either way. They also use either Navionics charts or C-Map charts. A short preview of features can be seen at www.hybridtouch.com

I have been wanting to upgrade the electronics on Quest since I bought her in February and I'm glad I waited until these were announced. They have moved to the top of my list. It will take a major re-layout of the instrument panel to make it fit, but I like having the latest gadget. I sailed the bay for many years with a compass, chart and depthfinder and never got lost. Now I can accomplish the same thing for between $10,000 and $20,000. Ain't technology wonderful.

Has anyone done a major re-layout of their instrument panel? I would be interested in how you did it and pictures of the results. I'd also like to hear from anyone who has made the instrument panel taller and how you accomplished it. A few more inches of height would expand my options on display size.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Raymarine E Series Widescreen

Post by RicM »

Be very careful about hanging your hat on something like this. In the tech field this is known as "vapor ware". You can announce just about anything, and describe it any way you want. Whether it will work the way you, the buyer expects, is another story. A good example is the Furuno NavNet3D system announced, promoted, and bought by a lot of hopeful boat owners. I'm a Furuno fan, but I used it as an opportunity to buy upgraded NavNet2 components at a reduced price. The NavNet 3D system was late, buggy, and had map issues that had hopeful buyers tearing their hair out. Be VERY careful.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ric hit the nail on the head here. I also went with a new navnet2 system last winter installing the radar/chartplotter, standalone fishfinder and autopilot myself including NMEAing it all together. So I had my share of calls into Furuno's tech guys along the way and they admitted to me on more than one occassion how they were very very backed up with 3D issues. I looked at the 3D system briefly but decided to stick with what was tried and true, plus the deals are there to be had when you stick with yesterdays gear.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

After I sold my 31, I bought a Tiara 38 with hopelessly old electronics. I had these guys make me a new panel overlay.

http://www.wewireboats.com/p.html

I'm pretty pleased with the results

Note the first couple of helm pictures in their gallery

Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Electronics”