• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Recommendations

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Recommendations

Post by yhc »

Good evening,

I am considering the following electronics package when the deal finalizes for a 40' NSC. If you have any suggestions for modifying a component/system please let me know. Also if there are any delaers/installers out there please let me know your guestimate on how many hours/how much it would cost to install all these.

Not quite sure whether I want AIS or not as I have never used it before and it's not too congested where I boat. If any of you have any experiences w/ one please let me know what your thoughts are.

RAYMARINE

C120 W 1 each for main helm and flybridge
125 GPS sensor
Seatalk high speed network switch (E55050)
AIS 500 Class B transceiver
DSM 300 Digital sounder
Flush mount 1kW transducer (A102113)
24" 4kW Radome (E92131)

ST8002 auto pilot rotary control
E12199 Smart Pilot X-30
M81122 Type 3 hydraulic pump

Icom

IC-M504
HM 157SW 12 command mic
Morad 156-HD 57" HD antenna

Floscan

Series 9800 GPS interface system (twin engine)
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recommendations

Post by RicM »

Although I'm a masochist and strictly a Furuno fan, it sounds like a good package. AIS will be the next thing I'm adding to my setup. The biggest, fastest moving thing in our area are a couple of high speed ferries. They do 30 knts in the bay and up to 60 out in RI sound, and generally do it in all weather including fog. I have had at least one close encounter in the fog. It sure would be nice to know that THEY know exactly where I am. If you haven't had auto pilot before, you will love it. I hardly ever touch the wheel once I get out of the harbor since I've had mine.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I do not know if Raytheon has one right now but if I were purchasing a radar I would look into the new broadband radars which give sharper images and much lower power consumption. An article in this month's Chesapeake Bay magazine says they use less power than your cell phone.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

yhc
Sounds like a very nice setup. I have a Raymarine C120 package and I'm very happy with it. Be sure to check the DSC compatibility with the Icom radio ahead of time if you plan to setup the DSC function. My C120 was installed in 20006. My version has serious issues between the radio DSC and the NMEA data from my Raymarine system. I think I heard it was resolved but it's worth checking ahead of time.
Good Luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

I just want to add some advice on a couple of things . But first I looked up your planned purchases . It just amazing what is coming on the market .
On the Radar Ist thing is rememeber that radar has a height of eye for the Horizon ,so the higher the better to take advantage of the range you are considering to buy. Second is limit the number of obstructions around the scanner to 1 or none in a perfect world . This will reduce the second or false echo effect . One thing I will stress is that a unit with manual controls for the gain ,sea and rain settings is a Must . Quick access to your EBL and VRM also a must .The ones with just auto settings will let you dwn when you really need it . I was on a vessel this spring with a brand new 50,000 dollar unit that was all computerized , Wen t up through Pelee passage on L Erie in full gales at night and heavy rain and the radar would not pick up the off shore light house , the bouys and just a slim echo of th Point Pelee and Pelee Island . No way to manually set the rain and sea clutter Had to use the 1984 Furuno . Face stuck in the rubber radar boot ,took me back 20 years. Radars work really great on a clear day but rain and fog will reduce the range . It takes power to send that signal out there and back through that moisture laden air.
On Ais , This is a great tool in collision avoidence . In the Professional trade they are worth their weight in gold . But do you really need the transceiver and not just the receiver . I am not looking forward to the day when i look at my nav system and see more yachts on there than the commercial traffic that I am concerned with . In my opinion, in some heavy commercial traffic areas ,the masters and mates don,t need unnessary targets on thier screens . But rememeber they are just a aid to navigation .
As far as the electronic plotters and charts , they are getting better every 6 months , but of all what I have seen I like the old KISS formula . Because sometimes when you are in a hurry and the shit might hit the fan ,the most simple one works best . When I use to train my mates on Navigation In the ST Lawrence seaway and River systems on the Great Lakes I would not let them use the electronic charts . They had to use the old ways , the eyes in the front of their head , radar bearings and Gyro compass and a voyage plan laided out on the paper charts . Its amazing how quick that they could tell you every course from Lake Superior to Quebec City off the top of their heads .
Well I think I have said enough , just some thoughts from an old guy still making a buck off the water . [ and hoping to own a albin soon]
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yhc »

Thank you so much for your input.

I will look into broadband radar and DSC/NMEA compatibility issues. I think the latter issue has been resolved as you mentioned, John. I do agree with you, lpbp, about AIS potentially congesting the screen in a busy area. I have decided to forego AIS as I will be boating in Prince William Sound, Alaska once I bring the boat up the Inside Passage. It is not so crowded in PWS and the only commercial traffic consists of occasional ferries and cruise liners other than commercial fishing vessels. Not sure whether many of these fishing vessels would have AIS anyways.

One more question: the boat I am purchasing has 2006 twin Yanmar engines. These do not have NMEA connections so I am thinking about Maretron J2K100 to convert analog engine data to NMEA compatible signal to display on Raymarine monitors. Do any of you have any experience with Maretron J2K100?
nan1rik1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by nan1rik1 »

On my our current Albin we have Garmin & Furano, both very good. On our old boat had a 2002 Raytheon Raymarine radar, GPS/plotter, depth finder and VHF. The depth finder & VHF were great, the other units were very user unfriendly, hard to operate and were confusing especially if your in a hurry. I ended up purchasing a Garmine 545 that I loked so much I took it with me when I sold the boat.
It is no wonder that Garmin has taken over Raymarine, perhaps they will improve the user friendly status of the units.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

yhc,
There's a recent, fairly detailed, discussion about radars in the "General Discussion" forum. It's called "Radar" and I think it began on March 9. If I had a little more savvy and time I'd send you a link. Check it out.

My impression of Raymarine is similar to nan1rik1's. They sell very well because their presentation is superb. Their look and feel is really sexy but that just makes everyone want their stuff (and want to pay for it), it doesn't mean the equipment works the way it should, or the way you expect it to.

Have fun choosing your stuff.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yhc »

Thanks for the replies nan1rik1 and joe.

The package as stated above has been purchased and installed except for E120W in lieu of C120W and no AIS. I feel comfortable with the choices I have made...will keep you posted once I get the boat up here in Alaska.

Regards,

yhc

Return to “Electronics”