• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Chartplotter Questions

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

New Chartplotter Questions

Post by Fortunate »

I am getting ready to bite the bullet and update my chartplotter and radar. I am kind of torn between the Garmin 740s and the 4208. Does anyone have experience with the touchscreen on the 740 or other Garmins? Is the radar overlay capability really worth the added expense of the 4208 w/ network hub, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New Chartplotter Questions

Post by DougSea »

I have no experience with the Garmin units but I wanted to chime in on the radar overlay. I have it with my Northstar M-121 and BR24 radar and I love it. I don't keep it on all the time but when I'm looking to be certain that the return I'm seeing isn't a bouy or other fixed object it's really usefull. With that said I just looked at the 740 on Garmin's site and they do support a side by side display which is nealy as good in my opinion. In fact that's the mode I normally run with.

The 4208 is bigger which would be a positive factor for me. At the end of the day you need to look at what works for you and your budget. Both now and for the next few years. When I was shopping for mine I looked at the Raymarine systems, which are really nice, but for the dollars my setup meets all of my needs (broadband radar is awesome close in) at a reasonable price.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

I'm currently considering both as well. The 740s with RADAR bundle at Westmarine right now is a great deal. I think the 4208 buttons are clunky and therefore am now deciding between the 5208 and 740s depending on installation room. I think bigger screen is always better. Yes a big price jump between the two but I figuire that 5 years from now the 5208 (740s) touchscreen will still be somewhat current and the 4208 will be outdated. Maybe a happy compramise would be 740S with upgraded G2 maps. Either way you'll need a Through hull Transducer as previously posted in this link viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2305

OldDemps
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
SANDY FINK

Post by SANDY FINK »

Hi, I have a Garmin 5208 with HD radar with overlay. I love it. It is so easy to operate especially the touch screen and very quick redraws. I also bought the G2 card that expands the system with 3d underwater and overlays plus an added feature of typing in your destination and it will automatically draw a route to that spot. I bought it Defenders Marine Supply in CT. I had them deliver it and saved a bundle on sales tax.
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

I am also considering upgrading from my Garmin 2010C chartplotter, and so far the Garmin 5212 touchscreen is my first choice. I do not have first-hand experience with the Garmin touchscreen, but there is an electronics forum on another boasting site called the hull truth forum and many people have commented positively about their touchscreen Garmins. The only complaint I have heard is that it can get tricky to touch the screen accurately if you are bouncing around in really rough water, but most people on the forum say that it is a non-issue for them. I like my 2010C very much, and because of that I lean toward another Garmin. Unfortunately Garmin has stopped upgrading and selling chart chips for the 2010C, so I will have to upgrade fairly soon.

Have you considered a broadband radar? It seems to be a new technology with many advantages -- very clear definition right up to a few feet from the boat, completely safe emissions. I think broadband radars are only made by a few manufacturers, including Simrad. I do not know if they have overlay capability, but I assume so. I would like to hear if anyone has experience with this new type of radar.
John S.
Jamestown, RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey John,

I have the Northstar BR24 broadband radar and I'm very happy with it. Great resolution in close and it does support overlay on my M-121 MFD. It's my first radar unit so I can't offer a comparison but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Will you be at Essex? If so you can check it out there.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

Bought the 740s. Installed it this morning. It has some really cool features, I.will post some more info when I figure it out.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME

Return to “Electronics”