• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Furuno Model 1830?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Leonardo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Location: Chesapeake Bay (Summer), Laguna Madre/Gulf of Mexico (Winter)

Furuno Model 1830?

Post by Leonardo »

My boat has a good autopilot and I'm buying a Garmin 456s GPS but I was also thinking of adding an Furuno 1830 radar unit. Yes it's an older unit but in good working condition. Any comments (good/Bad) about the 1830? I plan on installing it on the mast I'm making.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Furuno Model 1830?

Post by jleonard »

My ex boat had a Furuno radar of that same era (smaller model) and it worked fine for many years. Only problem was that the antenna motor burned out once. That is sort of common among Furuno radar sets.
I would not hesitate to put an older set on the boat (assuming you got a good deal on it).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have an 1830 unit with radar, GPS and fish finder. It all seems to be top quality stuff. The unit is not the most user friendly device but after a while you learn your way around the menus and it can do an amazing amount of operations. I have not used the radar enough to learn all the sophisticated options it has but it works fine in the basic course up, auto mode. Even though this is an older unit it should last long enough to justify the installation.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Furuno is known to offer the best support of thier older products.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Electronics”