• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Autopilot Compass Location

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Autopilot Compass Location

Post by loubennett »

Quest is a 2002 28TE engine box model. I had a Raymarine Smartpilot X-10 installed last year. There were several problems with the installation which are being fixed this week. One remainig item is the location of the flux gate compass. It is currently installed on the starboard side under the dinette seat. I have never been able to get it to calibrate properly and I think it's because it's located too close to the air conditioner and bow thruster. I want to relocate it to a better location and I'm looking for suggestions.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Autopilot Compass Location

Post by Pitou »

On Pitou it is mounted inboard to the rear of the small locker under the forward cushion in the Qtr. berth. It only misbehaves if we run the microwave while underway / then the gremlins turn us hard over to port! Nothing like a quick hot dog while on auto troll! The only other time was when a pan was stowed on top of that cushion. Moved it and no problems since.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Mine is mounted inside the cabinet under the sink in the head. It is near the center-line and probably within 3 feet of where Pitou's is located. It has never had a problem with interference probably because there are no electrical wires near it.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Bottom right corner in medicine cabinet. 1,500 naut miles and never an incident.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Thanks for the input. There seems to be good agreement just a question of which side. The cabinet under the head sink is easy but my fresh water pump and autopilot electronis are there and I would think could interfere. I also plan to put some other electronics there soon. I like the port side under the quarter berth. I don't remember an aft bulkhead in the small locker mentioned but I'll check this evening. I think any of the suggestedlocations will work better than where it is. I'll pick one, try it for a while, and try another choice if I'm not happy. Additional suggestions are still welcome.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

loubennett wrote:I'll pick one, try it for a while, and try another choice if I'm not happy..
I thought about the small locker under the forward cushion in the Qtr. berth but I keep my hand tools there and under the step too and I did not want to relocate the tools if I did not have to. I thought the med cab was gonna be too high but I have seen no ill effects even in a rolling sea. I "blue taped" it in at first to see how it worked out. Now the cables are properly routed and she's screwed in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

That's a valuable input. I was concerned about the medicine cabinet being to high. I'm also having second thoughts about the quarter berth location. My quarter berth often is a catch all storage area. In addition to the possibility of interference it has the potential of being different from time to time. Either starboard side location would have a more consistent magnetic environment.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

loubennett wrote:That's a valuable input. I was concerned about the medicine cabinet being to high. I'm also having second thoughts about the quarter berth location. My quarter berth often is a catch all storage area. In addition to the possibility of interference it has the potential of being different from time to time. Either starboard side location would have a more consistent magnetic environment.
I will say I do have to think before I stow. No big deal, metal to the aft, tool bag under the dinette. I never would have considered the medecine cabinet. It sounds like you've received some good suggestions.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

And it made for a simple install too as the AP wiring was all running up/down the starboard side...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Electronics”