• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

IPads and Boating

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

IPads and Boating

Post by Richard »

I recently purchased an IPad and find it is a great tool with lots of marine applications or "apps". I also purchased the Navionics app (one of the more expensive ones at $25, but many are only a few dollars or even free) and have used it as my backup GPS Chartplotter. It works great. One thing that is important to mention is that if you want GPS capability be sure to purchase one of the models designted "WIFI+3g" (the more expensive models). The plain WIFI models do not have true GPS capability (they can do rough position determinations but need a continous WIFI connection to do that and it is not nearly as accurate as having a true GPS capability). Even though I have 3G capability similar to an "air card" through AT&T, I have not yet enabled the service with AT&T and the GPS still works as accurately as my chartplotter no matter where I am and without any connection to the Net. The Navionics app loads all the charts you purchase (whole East Coast in my case) into the IPad and they stay resident. This is different than apps like Google Earth that require 3G or WIFI connections to work and refresh the maps.

The cost for 3G AT&T service is either $15 or $25 depending on the amount of data transmitted and the nice thing is that you can turn it on or off on a month to month basis with no long term contract required. I plan to turn it on next spring (you do that easily through the IPad when connected through WIFI) and leave it on until the boat comes out of the water in the fall. That will give me full internet access on my boat so long as I am in cell phone range in the AT&T network. In the meantime I can connect to the Net anywhere I have WIFI access. I use it every day (off the boat) to check e-mail, read the Washington Post, etc.

Another thing to point out is that if your IPad is connected to the Net either through WIFI or 3G, there are limitless possible free marine uses the same as with any laptop. An IPad App just incates that it is optimized to work on the IPad but in many cases the version available online has more capabiliy. You just may have to blowup the text on the screen to be able to see it better (very easy to do with a two finger reverse "pinch"). IPad Apps tend to be very simple to use but have somewhat reduced capabilities. For example, the Southwest Airlines IPad App will not do nearly as much as the PC version (which you can also access on the IPad if you have Net access.)

If enough Albin owners have IPads it might be useful to start a thread that reviews various IPad apps for boating and indicate things like: which ones need Net access to work, what is the cost, what do they do and are they worth it in your opinion.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dataw Island, SC

Re: IPads and Boating

Post by Drew »

I bought my wife an ipad this summer as she is not overly literate with PCs...she loves it. Then I found some apps that would be useful for our boating. Certainly the size is ideal for the boat...we got the WIFI only version...if we did it again I woudl opt for the 3G version. We use the Boating Suite app (from boatingcafe.com) for our travel log, fuel log and maintence log. We also got the Navionics app...it's great on the ipad. On our recent 10 day trip on the ICW we would use it each evening to further review the next day's travel. We also use it here at home to evaluate future travel plans. For most of my career I have used PCs exclusively...but this Apple product is definately a winner....and will always be with us on our boating excursions.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I'm with Drew. I have always used PCs. I have setup a few iPads for clients this year and I am impressed with it. Santa brought one for Sharon. She hates computers but has jumped right into using the iPad. I'll check out that site for the cruising log. (for Sharon, of course 8) )

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

At this point I am still in the "coveting an iPad" stage, but I have found that my iPhone, though the screen is quite small, has similar capabilities..........the Navionics App is incredible! I certainly wouldn't want to use it "instead" of our usual gps (we use CAPN software on a small notebook equipped with a hockey puck gps to "back up" our 11 year old on board chartplotter--or maybe it's the other way around :lol: ) but it is remarkably capable for the $15 or so it cost to purchase the App.

KathyN
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Hmmm.....I just got a Droid phone (sorry, Apple fans. But, I do love my iPod!). The Droid comes with GPS. I'll have to look into that as a backup. Now to figure out how to use it!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

kathylsails wrote:Hmmm.....I just got a Droid phone (sorry, Apple fans. But, I do love my iPod!). The Droid comes with GPS. I'll have to look into that as a backup. Now to figure out how to use it!
Love my Droid. I have shortcut icons for Tides, Marine Forecast, Weather Data Buoys, etc.... and AOG of course. Since getting the Droid 6 months ago I have been able to stay more active here on AOG as it really is a great browsing tool. Got the Droid 2 Global and couldn't be happier with it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Using my iPad right now. Can't get used to the touch screen. It's good for browsing.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

As one who lives in the techno world, I love my IPAD on the Albin! I don't pay for 3G as I use a sprint air card and have no issues. I don't use it as a chart plotter, but I use it for fishing always.

As I troll Salmon and Trout, I saved all of my depth charts as PDF files for easy viewing, copper, lead core, mono lines, as well as diver profiles. Also created detailed PDFs on target species such as Lake Trout and Chinook Salmon, temp preferences, trolling speeds etc...

One can never have enough gear to chase fish...
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

Post by erice »

richard: how is the coverage with at & t? i am looking at the ipad w/3g and am considering verizon since i have verizon phone service and cell phones. also, anything i need to know before buying the ipad? also, how many gigs does your i pad have? any thoughts will be appreciated. eric
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

We used a 3G iPad with the Navionics app as backup in our trip across Okeechobee just before Christmas. I was not sure how good the charts would be on the Garmin unit that came on Air A Fare (from 2008 and labeled SE Florida) and I didn't want to pay $250 for a chip for a unit that I'm probably going to rip out and throw away soon. The iPad was fantastic! Accurate, easy to use and easily visible in all but direct sunlight (seldom a problem on our covered flybridge). I used the Garmin zoomed all the way in and the iPad for a wider view. A relatively cheap 12V charger kept the screen on all the time.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Richard: For some time i have been planning to get the IPad with GPS & now have the New Apple IPad 2 with WIFI 4g on order. Will install the Navicionics for the chartplotter.
My dumb question is do you have tide charts on the IPad for your area and if so where do we get those?
The NW area is famous for huge tide changes and can be very dangerous without careful attention.
I may have some of this already but I don't think so.
Any adivse from the members will be appreicated.
whwells "Howard"
35te Sportfisher/Conv. 2006
Anacortes, Wa.
Kristo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vancouver

Post by Kristo »

Howard.... the Navionics app for the ipad will show tides (like most modern chartplotters) it is worth getting and is suitable for backup and trip planning. I have found the ipad really useful around the boat for email and web browsing. There are other apps on the app store that deal with tides.
I often use http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/english/Canada.shtml for tides and currents in our area as well as other web sites.....for planning trips and fishing.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I use a separate app for the tides...Aye Tides is the name, and have it on my iPhone as well. It also shows current speed at selected inlets, a handy thing to know. If you are cruising don't forget the "Active Captain" app with user reviews of anchorages and marinas and fuel price reports.
Also the latest vaporware from Furuno features a new GPS/Plotter model with iPad like touch capabilities and built in wi-fi so you can use your iPad as a repeater with their app...
http://www.NavNet.com/

It remains to be seen WHEN it will actually arrive.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Kristo & RicM: Thank you both for the reply. I like the idea of the separate Aye Tides & at 9.99 it is an afforable additions.
Will give it a try when the IPad ships in 2-3 weeks. This will be my first IPad so I am excited about it's many uses in particular for this summer cruising.
whwells "Howard"
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

My wife and I got each other iPads for Christmas. GREAT device but we've also had iPhones for several years and enjoyed several marine apps including Navionics, weather and tides. Also have the weather buoys which show sea conditions and water temp for specific areas.

Return to “Electronics”