• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

raymarine depth sounder module or not?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

raymarine depth sounder module or not?

Post by erice »

i just purchased a used raymarine c120 gps/chartplotter and radar unit. my son & wife are urging me to get the dsm & transducer in order to have a better depth finder/fish finder. however, the cost is around $900, and when i fish, i usually just use the raft. any thoughts?
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Re: raymarine depth sounder module or not?

Post by mhanna »

I also have a C70 series Raymarine MFD and was thinking about adding the DSM30 sounder unit, it is about $500 and of course you then need a transducer (but any solution would need one).
I did not end up doing this because I felt my screen was to small to be a charplotter, radar screen and a sounder all at once. You have more screen on the 12" unit so things could be different there.

When I spoke to the Raymarine sales guys about doing this then later buying a newer C or E series and doing some screen sharing I was told you cant share this kind of info between C and E (seems very unreasonable) but that is what I was told.
The good news was that the DSM30 can support the old C series OR the newer C&E series by wiring it differently but not both at the same time. So when its time for an upgrade you do not have to take that out.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: raymarine depth sounder module or not?

Post by loubennett »

If you have an existing depth sounder check the transducer. It may be usable with the DSM 30 or 300. Airmar makes nearly all of the transducers and puts the proper connector on to match a brand of sounder. The way to track it down is through the Airmar website. It has part number cross references and wiring diagrams. With a little luck you will only have to put a new connector on the cable rather than buying and installing a new transducer.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “Electronics”