• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Airmar Transducers

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Airmar Transducers

Post by Anthony1013 »

Last year I installed some new Garmin gear, the GPS 4212, 24" HD Radar, AIS, XM weather/radio and the GSM 22. I ran out of time and money to do the transducer last year but now it's time. I've been looking at the Airmar B164 1KW Bronze thru hull and I see they come in 2 angles. Has anyone installed this transducer before? I'm thinking the 12 degree tilt is the one for our hulls...

Any advice/tips/thoughts are always welcome and appreciated. The hull is a 1999.

Thanks,

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Airmar Transducers

Post by mudskipper »

]GOOD morning Anthony. I am putting new electronics on my 1988 40 foot albin trawler next week. I am getting the same 4212 Garmin that you have and left the selection of the exact transducer to the elecrtonics installer, all I said was thru hull near coastal nav. Not really a fishing boat[ Do you like your Garmin? Has it been reliable? I can ask him which he is using if you don't get guidance from the members. Which radio did you get? I am going down to work on reefing the calk out of the top deck of mine boat. Oooh no I'm channeling the Katzenjammer Kids again. Next ve shloss der cables Ya!
Get Aweigh

Post by Get Aweigh »

Hi Anthony,

I just installed a Garmin 4210 last month with an Airmar B744v transducer and GSD-22 remote. I was told the forward looking sonar was primarily for the faster boats and for the less faster boats such as my 32' SC the more downward looking transducer is used. I am more interested in shallow water cruising, so depth under the keel is of primary importance. Of particular interest is a previous post by Joe. Baar in the "Electronics" forum (9/24/10) on locating the transducer with respect to prop rotation on single screw boats. My previous Lowrance transducer was on the starboard side of the keel and I intended to replace it with the new Airmar. The boat yard informed me that was the wrong location for my left handed prop. The new one was installed on the port side and the old Lowrance is used as a "hole plug". There is no comparison between the Garmin with the G2-Vision software and the old Lowrance. It is fantastic.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had a Furuno digital sounder professionally installed a few years ago and they put in the 20 degree Airmar unit. It is just aft of the bulkhead to the cabin and to port side of centerline. You can easily measure the angle with a protractor and a level. I really like the flush mount instead of the fairing block I had before.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

I referenced this prior posting and gave the yard a printed copy
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2305
They installed it according to the posting as shown and it's been great. I used the 12 to 20 degree flush mount airmax for Garmin. The yard said my hull was all foam in that location. There seems to be some debate over if and when Albin removed the wood core in portions of the hull for thru hulls. My boat is a 28TE #404.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
awilkins
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Severna Park, MD

Post by awilkins »

Anthony

I have the 20 degree transducer on order for a Garmin GPSMAP 740s. The 20 degree transducer is the right way to go. I am also replacing a Raymarine transducer for the ST40 depth gauge with a P19 20 degree transducer. Both mounted port side for'd of the engine. I liked the idea of the flush mount with a boat lift.
Liberty Call - 28TE
Allan Wilkins and Susan Sears
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I just received the transducer... I went with the Airmar SS164 20 degree. The boat is scheduled to be hauled out next week for bottom paint, zincs, buff and wax and the installation of the new transducer. I have NO desire to be anywhere near the boat yard when the 3 7/8" whole is drilled into the bottom of the boat.

I'll report back with the results...

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member

Return to “Electronics”