• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF/ AIS

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF/ AIS

Post by jcollins »

I've seen some discussion around here about AIS. Although I'm not sold on the idea for my boating needs, this product looks promising and reasonable in cost if your thinking about upgrading your VHF.

http://www.marine-electronics-reviews.c ... x2100.html
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF/ AIS

Post by sharffj »

Put one on my 31 TE just the receiver which shows on my plotter. Nice to have one on the Columbia River and in the NW waters from the San Juans and north along Vancouver Islands. Lots of commercial traffic and especially ferries. Although can see them on radar nice to know exactly who they are, their course and speed. The Canadian and Alaskan ferries move fast and don't veer off their course. Nice to identify them early on and give them lots of room. Also helps with tug that are under tow. Give that tow cable plenty of space.
Last summer drifting 60 miles off shore while tuna fishing, would see things passing in the night, now at least should know who they are.
Jeff S
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Standard Horizon has just introduced the GX2150, an improvement over the 2100. I am ordering one this week since I have an outdated VHF radio anyway. I agree with Jeff, that in Northwest waters, with all of the commercial traffic, it is nice to know the big ones are headed your way.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I just purchased the 2150 as well. Seems like a great solution, since my 12 year old VHF is in need of replacement as well. I plan to connect it to my Raymarine E-120 network via a NMEA connection. I'm also upgrading the VHF antenna to maximize performance.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Electronics”