• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Satellite Phone

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Satellite Phone

Post by rcornejo »

Good Evening Everyone,

I am requesting your help in finding out about satellite phones. I am not sure if anyone uses one when traveling on their Albins but I travel in the Gulf of Mexico outside of cell phone and radio coverage. I would like to get a satellite phone in the event of an emergency. Would you be kind enough to let me know what your thoughts are on this and if you have any preference on the type of phone, provider and plan you prefer. Any information you can provide me will be appreciated very much.

Thanks for all your help.

Roland Cornejo
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Satellite Phone

Post by DougSea »

Hey Roland,

I have no personal experience, but that never stops me! :-)

Stop over at Panbo (www.panbo.com) and look around. Ben Ellison is a writer for a several of the big boating magazines and Panbo is his marine electronics blog. There was a bunch of discussion recently about sat phones. There's a search funtion on the site. As a blog it has his "intro" story and then there are usually a number of pretty good comments (he moderates them) where you may find the meat you're looking for.

And of course, post back here if you find anything good!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your help again. I will search that site and see what I come up with. If I find out some good info, I will post the results.

Seems like everytime I post something, you always respond back to me. Thank you for doing that. Since I live so far from everyone, I don't know anyone in this group. I wish I lived closer to get to know some of the people and attend the functions. By the way Doug, where can I pick up one of the Burgee's for my Albin?

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Thanks Roland! Always glad to help! I do try to respond to posts, don't want people to get discouraged when they ask a question the group doesn't answer. We're big, and growing, but not every question gets an answer. The more people stay engaged and find the site valuable, the better for all of us.

And I like to talk! :)

If I ever get down there I'll try and stop by and check out your boat. And of course the invitation is open if you ever visit up here.

Getting a burgee is easy, become a "supporting member" and you can get the burgee AND you get access to the document library. (Important disclaimer - I'm just a member here, John Collins runs the show!) I've made it a point to send a contribution along to John every year to help defray the costs of the hosting. I get tremendous value from the conversations here and I just include it as part of my annual maintanence budget!
Doug
Sonny IV
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Have had a Globalstar for several years now. 4 or 5 years ago service was fairly good. Could get consistent coverage offshore tuna fishing and up the inside passage to SE Alaska. Then about 3 years they lost some of their satellite coverage and the coverage was awful was hit and miss offshore often couldn't get coverage at all. Company actually lowered monthly charges and would send out notices admiting they were having satellite problems and kept promising to launch more into orbit. Last year (2010) coverage was better. Fairly consistent offshore again, and in Desolation Sound area. Did not use it as much as 4-5 years ago so am still skepitical.
Iridium phones have much better coverage and those I know who have them haven't had the issues that we've had with Globalstar. Iridiums are much more expensive than Globalstar both for the phone and for the airtime. It's prpbably a case of you get what you pay for. If I already didn't have the Globalstar I'd probably get an Iridium. You can always rent as well. In fact if the Globalstar service is like it was two years ago I'll probably get rid of it and look at other options
Jeff S
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

DougSea wrote:Thanks Roland! Always glad to help! I do try to respond to posts, don't want people to get discouraged when they ask a question the group doesn't answer. We're big, and growing, but not every question gets an answer. The more people stay engaged and find the site valuable, the better for all of us.

And I like to talk! :)

If I ever get down there I'll try and stop by and check out your boat. And of course the invitation is open if you ever visit up here.

Getting a burgee is easy, become a "supporting member" and you can get the burgee AND you get access to the document library. (Important disclaimer - I'm just a member here, John Collins runs the show!) I've made it a point to send a contribution along to John every year to help defray the costs of the hosting. I get tremendous value from the conversations here and I just include it as part of my annual maintanence budget!

Hi Doug,

I would love to contribute, how do I get set up for that? Should I contact John directly? If I ever travel to that part of the world, I promise to contact you to see your new baby! That is a beautiful boat! Thanks again for all your help.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

sharffj wrote:Have had a Globalstar for several years now. 4 or 5 years ago service was fairly good. Could get consistent coverage offshore tuna fishing and up the inside passage to SE Alaska. Then about 3 years they lost some of their satellite coverage and the coverage was awful was hit and miss offshore often couldn't get coverage at all. Company actually lowered monthly charges and would send out notices admiting they were having satellite problems and kept promising to launch more into orbit. Last year (2010) coverage was better. Fairly consistent offshore again, and in Desolation Sound area. Did not use it as much as 4-5 years ago so am still skepitical.
Iridium phones have much better coverage and those I know who have them haven't had the issues that we've had with Globalstar. Iridiums are much more expensive than Globalstar both for the phone and for the airtime. It's prpbably a case of you get what you pay for. If I already didn't have the Globalstar I'd probably get an Iridium. You can always rent as well. In fact if the Globalstar service is like it was two years ago I'll probably get rid of it and look at other options
Jeff S
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Iridium already based on the reports I was reading. I still can't believe how expensive the phones are! I have been looking on Ebay to see if I can pick up a used one and then get a pre-paid package to use it only if I need it. Is that what you do? The only reason I would like to have one is because we lose cell phone reception the minute we hit the 6 mile mark! You never know when you need to reach the Coast Guard and don't have phone or radio reception. It happen to me last summer! Thank goodness it was not an emergency situation!

Happy and safe boating to you and your loved ones Jeff!

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

rcornejo wrote:
DougSea wrote:

Hi Doug,

I would love to contribute, how do I get set up for that? Should I contact John directly? If I ever travel to that part of the world, I promise to contact you to see your new baby! That is a beautiful boat! Thanks again for all your help.

Roland
No problem Roland!

Go to the forum home page and in the first section there's a forumn area that includes becoming a supporter. I think it's the Albin Owners Group Home page link.

Here's a link to the "burgee" page. Buying a burgee gets you supporting member status.

http://www.albinowners.net/burgee.htm

On your original post - have you considered a device like the SPOT messenger? There are new capabilities coming out including limited 2-way texting via satellite. Might do for your purposes and be a LOT cheaper.
Doug
Sonny IV
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks again Doug. When do you plan to hit the water with your new boat this year? Do you all have insurance rules to keep you out of the water during certain times of the year?

I appreciate all your help.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

rcornejo wrote:Thanks again Doug. When do you plan to hit the water with your new boat this year? Do you all have insurance rules to keep you out of the water during certain times of the year?

I appreciate all your help.

Roland
My particular insurance policy has a "layup period" from November 15th to April 15th. While the exact dates may vary the lay up period concept is fairly common for New England boats. I plan to be in the water on 4/15 and underway up to Connecticut on the 16th!
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Electronics”