• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine C120 Problem

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dataw Island, SC

Raymarine C120 Problem

Post by Drew »

I have the C120 (Classic) and run with heading up and relative motion. Intermittently it seems to loose the heading and the chart will flip sideways (and any ways except up). Sometimes it will correct itselft and other times it is out for the day. Just returned from a 10 day trip south and drove me crazy. Luckily I have a backup Garmin. I talked to Raymarine while underway and they suggested to up the GPS feed to strong which I did but did not help. I also have a autopilot and radar attached. Any suggestions?
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Raymarine C120 Problem

Post by sharffj »

Had the problem where I would lose the position. Was happening fairly frequently and in areas where I should have had a good signal. Turned out was the antenna. replaced the antenna and was fine.
Jeff S
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Similar problem 2 years ago. GPS showed position and speed correctly but heading info was off, typically by 90 degrees as I remember. Would rotate the screen sideways, very annoying. Anyway, my problem was a bad autopilot heading sensor. In my case, Ray covered it under warranty.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

Looks like we have isolated the problem to the autopilot...you turn the autopilot off and the chartplotter seems to work fine. Have a tech back out in a couple of weeks to research the autopilot. Sounds like the heading sensor may be our first stop.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

I ordered a new fluxgate compass today...will get it installed in the next week or two. Two techies pointed to the compass being the issue. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Did you confirm that a metal object is not randomly being placed too close to the heading sensor (compass) and causing interference. Like a tool bag, thermos, fire ext., hand gun, laptop, etc..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

Problem solved!! My compass is located stern, starboard, above the fuel tank and a good three feet from any metal objects. Looks like it was originally certered but maybe too close to the steering mechanisms and moved starboard. Anyway, we replaced the compass, recallibrated and everything is good...the chartplotter now orients heads up correctly. $170 fix and a little labor.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
alfashpaddy
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: none

Post by alfashpaddy »

My raymarine C120 not powering...
Display blank. Any help from source or else your comments and guidance.

Return to “Electronics”