• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transducer question

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
voyages
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St-Charles RIchelieu, Qc

Transducer question

Post by voyages »

Hello everyone and Season's Greatings!
I have just purchased a Lowrance HDS-8 fishfinder for my 2002 Albin 28 engine box. Not sure what I should use as a transducer. The airmar P79 in hull is probably the easiest to install but some say that with an in hull transducer will lose some of the signals. A through hull transducer means drilling a hole through the boat and then there is always the transom mount. Any thoughts from other owners on which way to go.
Denis from Montreal
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transducer question

Post by Halcyon »

I had a Lowrance on my last boat, a Uniflyte Salty Dog. I glued the transducer inside the hull. it worked fine. A trick to help pick the right spot is to flood the bilge and move the transducer around, under the bilge water until you get a good reading. Empty the bilge, dry the spot and stick it down with polyester resin. I make a duct tape dam on the down hill side. Use polyester instead of epoxy because it is brittle and the transducer can be removed with a sharp blow from a rubber hammer.

Maybe a 28 owner can comment on non cored areas of the hull that are appropriate.
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

I've had good luck just using silicone to hold it down.
-------------------------------
Terry
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Halcyon:

Was your duct tape dam used to form a wedge so that the transducer was able to be mounted parallel to the water line? What is the source for the polyester material which was used? I am assuming that it is a quasi-liquid which requires time to harden. I’ve tried to make an epoxy wedge but ended up with bubbles as the epoxy did not harden in a uniform manner. Operator error??? Any suggestions for getting rid of a bad epoxy wedge stuck to the interior of the hull in the bilge?

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

In hull won't work through a cored hull. If you can find solid glass, you will be ok.

Personally, I would drill a hole an use a flush mount B-60 tilted element.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

I installed an Airmar P79 last winter and have lived happily ever after. I did need to cut through the interior layer of fiberglass and also the tropical hardwood plywood core but the unit works like a charm once bedded per the instructions that come in the box.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Electronics”