• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Radar Wedge

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radar Wedge

Post by Froggy »

Hi All,

I'm replacing my Furuno radar system a Garmin 18" HD dome connected to a Garmin 740S chart plotter/display. As always, it's turned out to be more of a project than expected but seems to be coming along. Question: I'm tempted to go to a 4 degree radar wedge. Curious as to what others are using on their 28 TE's. Wedge or not?

Carl
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Re: Radar Wedge

Post by mhanna »

Hey there Carl,
I found the need to pitch the antenna down very important. The antenna should be level when you are using it. I tested this by loosening the radar bolts and installing a piece of starboard as a shim under the rear ones (then re-tighten). This allowed me to try different angles without moving the wires around. I think the piece in there now is 3/4" (giving the radar a forward tilt).
You could use washers or whatever as a spacer.

Btw that "test" spacer has been there for years.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I wedged the radar down on my "ex" Mainship using stainless washers. Gave me about the right angle when running at 7 to 8 knots which is all I ran in the fog.
And that was a "test" also for me that turned into a permanent low tech solution. :D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My dome was originally mounted flat on the arch. I added lines to this photo to get an idea how upward pointing and interfered the beam was. The lines are parallel to the sea level/horizon:
running with lines 2.JPG
Last year I added a 6" scanstrut powertower plus a 4deg wedge. I carry the inflatable on the roof so I wanted the extra height. Plus the extra height of the dome keeps the front edge of the roof from interfering with the radar beam at all trim angles. I no longer lose any straightaway targets regardless of speed/trim until I am right on top of them. The all around/mast light is high enough that no mods are required even with the 6" powertower mount:
profile 2012-03-22_14-16-09_984.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by RobS on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for this! Showing the lines vs. the horizon is excellent.

I've always had a bit of a concern with having the radar right on the arch as the arch on my boat (a convertible) is even lower than the hard top version and I had been looking at mounts to get it up a bit higher to compensate for tilting it forward. I've been looking at Scanstrut (excellent product) as well as Edson. I'm going to go with the Edson 5" Classic Series mount as it is on clearance (they've moved to a modular system in their product line), has the 4 degree tilt built in, is set up for my Garmin system and they're located right up the road in New Bedford.. My old light (convertibles use a Perko 12" light) is too low so that goes and will be replaced by an Edson light mount that fits into the back of the radar mount. At the same time I've upgraded to an Atwood LED steaming/mooring light as it has dramatically lower power consumption than the Perko.

My old radar was a bit like throwing stones off the bow to see if anything was out there in the fog. The Garmin should be a nice improvement.

Thanks to all for the input on the wedge.

Carl
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Froggy wrote:Hi Rob,

Thanks for this!
No problem. Sounds like a nice setup you will have there. Post some pics when it's mounted.
Froggy wrote:I've upgraded to an Atwood LED steaming/mooring light as it has dramatically lower power consumption than the Perko.
I have been on an LED role this spring myself. I changed all 7 of the plastic incandescent cabin fixtures to new SS LED fixtures. I also installed new LED red/green navlights, and LED upgraded the anchor/mast light and the stern light.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I converted most of the interior lights over the last couple years. I figure that it will take, conservatively, something like 50 years for the energy payback but saves the batteries while at anchor. What did you use for the stern light (integrated into the transom on mine) and the two running lights?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Froggy wrote:I converted most of the interior lights over the last couple years. I figure that it will take, conservatively, something like 50 years for the energy payback but saves the batteries while at anchor. What did you use for the stern light (integrated into the transom on mine) and the two running lights?
New thread started viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5279
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I've been busily working away under Froggy's canvas winter cover installing the new radar unit. As with all things "boat" it is more time consuming than one would imagine. The project involved:
1)Removing Furuno 1623 including all wiring. This had to be done "surgically" so I can re-sell the unit and cable. All overheads had to come out in the quarter berth area as well as drawers under pilot seat so as to access starboard side.
2) Surgically remove Garmin 545 GPS and wiring so it can be re-sold.
2) Removing two old GPS antennas and a WAAS antenna plus related cabling. New Garmin has integral GPS antenna
3) Pulling both AC and DC panels so as to mount galvanic isolator (shown)
IMG_0417.jpg
as well as power for radar
4) Cabling through radar arch - radar power cable- radar control cable.
5) Installing EDSON 5 inch mount with 4 degree forward tilt (shown)
edson.jpg
Next project is to rehab the helm area to mount the new GPS display (Garmin 740S), wire it all up, pray that everything works, give it a test and then close her back up.

More pictures coming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Radar.jpg
Radar.jpg
To make things simpler can be a complicated process....

After many hours of work, I have:
1) removed the old radar and have it up on eBay.
2) removed the old GPS and sold on eBay
3) removed depth sounder display and sold on eBay
4) removed Perko steaming light and sold on eBay
5) removed two GPS antennas and ancillary wiring
6) removed old VHF
7) installed Garmin HD radar
8) installed new LED steaming light
9) Installed new GArmin 740 integrated display
10) Installed new GPS VHF radio

Here is a shot of radar unit now that winter cover is removed. All works great on the hard. Will splash late next week and give it a test in on the water.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Looks great and should perform flawlessly up there. I did very well on eBay selling some Furuno gear I had pulled off a few years ago. No brand does better than Furuno on the used market, thier support on older models is second to none. Actually, thier support is all around great, just that the older model support keeps the value up on the used gear.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Thanks. Somehow the photo got posted twice and I can't figure out how to delete one but no matter.

The bidding is going strong on the Furuno. Amazingly, I should recoup more than half the cost of the more than 5 year old unit. Also, just put up the old VHF on eBay. That won't do as well percentage- wise but just looking to move it on to a new home.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Here's the helm station. The depth finder, radar display and GPS are replaced by the single Garmin 740. Much cleaner and more efficient.

As a side note, I highly recommend eBay to dispose of your old equipment if you upgrade. I paid $1070 for my Furuno radar in 2005. Sold it for $870. Paid $147 for my Furuno depth sounder display in 2005, sold it for $100; sold the 540 Garmin GPS for $375 (vintage 2007)and sold my 2005 Standard Horizon VHF for $102 ( replaced by a GPS enabled version). My Garmin 640 with 18HD radar was about $2600 and the new radio $200 or so. Let's call it $3000 for the new set-up. Netted $1500+/- on eBay so the new integrated set-up cost about $1500 (not including my labor). Not a bad deal.

Boat splashes next week.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Very nice, it makes the maiden voyage for the season that much more exciting.
Never noticed that "shade" around the dash, is that an Albin item or a Carl item?
Is that for the sun or the waves that come over the bow!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote: Is that for the sun or the waves that come over the bow!
:shock: :shock:
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Electronics”