• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Light Duty Inverter

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Light Duty Inverter

Post by DougSea »

So you're sitting on the hook in a nice quiet anchorage. You decide you want to watch a DVD. Fire up the generator. It's kinda quiet. But not really. There's vibration and the exhaust is going to disturb your neighbors.

There must be a better way.

Just finished the installation of a ProMariner TruePower 400watt inverter. It's wired in to the "Media Center" outlet that powers the Bluray and the HDTV. Doesn't power anything else. This particular inverter is a "pass thru" design that allows line power, from either the generator or shore power, to run the outlet but can switch over automatically to battery power when the line drops.

Here's the inverter. It's in the storage closet in the small cabin. Just happened to be directly below the panels, battery switches, and there's a buss bar hidden away there as well.
Inverter.jpg
This model also comes with a wired remote. I wanted to put it right near the main panels since it's important to know the inverter status when leaving the boat and when working on the wiring.
InverterControl.jpg
Tested it last night. Works like a charm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Light Duty Inverter

Post by RobS »

Always nice when you only have to drill the holes the size of the wires, not the connectors! (well, except for one of them)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Light Duty Inverter

Post by DougSea »

I know. (Good eyes!) I could have cut the end off of the remote and spliced it but they recommended I didn't unless I had to.

Working in that space was a challenge, and the big power feeds for the thruster and windlass made for some fun twisting and pulling. The whole cabinet is put together like a puzzle and the inverter had to be mounted on the panel and then everything lifted into place.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Electronics”