• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tips on troubleshooting sounder issues?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tips on troubleshooting sounder issues?

Post by jms02050 »

I'm frequently losing depth readings.

In deep water I get frequent shallow water alarms as well as the depth reading just goes blank (appears as dash on my GPS). I'm also losing readings in shallow water as very slow speeds, so I don't think this is all caused by turbulence under the hull. Also noticed the water temp readings are incorrect as well (-1 F yesterday with water temps in the 50s).

My setup is a Raymarine DSM250 module and an Airmar B series transducer. These are tied to a Raymarine RL80C with an RL70C as a repeater.

Any tips on tracking down the gremlins in the system? I figured it's the transducer, but not quite sure where to start.

Thx.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Tips on troubleshooting sounder issues?

Post by RobS »

You can contact Airmar for troubleshooting techniques. I did when I lost my temp reading. I was able to check the ducer and confirm it was ok and the problem was in the sounder.

The temperature reading sensor in the ducer is a thermistor. At 77deg F there is a resistance of 10,000ohms. The resistance increases as temp decreases. Mid 50's water should read a resistance of approx. 36,000ohms. With your VM set to OHMS connect the read lead from the meter to the brown Airmar wire, and the black lead to the white Airmar wire. You will need to get a pin configuration to know what Airmar wire color goes to what pin on the connector. On my Furuno ducer the white is 7 and brown is 4. Hope this helps...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Wow!. Now that's a detailed tip. Rob, I'm thinking you've seen and fixed just about anything the forum presents. Thx!
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I had temP issues with my C-70. I went as far as order a new thru hull transducer. However when they told me I might require glass work around the old transducer I decided not to. Another ET advised me to just replace the temp unit in the transducer, crimp a couple of wires and I would be good to go. The total cost was half the cost of the new thru hull, which I sent back. The temp works great.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Max, thank you for the tip. The sounder is on my to-do list...
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle

Return to “Electronics”