• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Garmin 740 Depth Sounder function

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Garmin 740 Depth Sounder function

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

I have a Garmin-740 (love it!) with a transom-mounted transducer...mounted to the left of the rotating propellor - thus no turbulance. At the dock and under-way, the Depth function works fine. But, at about 40 feet deep...the Depth indicator starts flashing, and then it intermittently works. I've checked all my 740 settings, and I've twice this season had the transducer cleaned of scum, weeds, grass...or anything else that might be there. Of course, I'm thinking do a thru-hull transducer next season and all will be well, but I have to believe that the existing set-up should work also. Is there anything else I can try? (FYI, the unit does the same on both shallow and deep water settings on the Garmin.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Re: Garmin 740 Depth Sounder function

Post by OldDemps »

I have a 740 and installed a new thru hull transducer from transom mount according to prior to this post viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2305
I still lose the depth reading but mostly shallow when I need it most. I think like your issue it's bubbles under the transducer interfering with my signal. I tried every 740 setting including lowering power and (dual) frequency to transducer with no success. Overall I'm pleased with the configuartion but the water here in California is deep and less of and issues than east coast boating.
Question, If you're not moving in deep water (>40') can you get a solid depth reading?
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Garmin 740 Depth Sounder function

Post by RobS »

Try the gain in manual and crank it up. Won't solve the issue but may improve the signal somewhat..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Electronics”