• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Auto pilot

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Auto pilot

Post by kjg1951 »

I have Robertson auto pilot, I am thinking of replacing it with another autopilot. which brand and model number do most of the Albin owners use for a replacement. I have a 1994 Albin 28T ... thank you for your help
Kevin G
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Auto pilot

Post by DougSea »

I doubt there's a single model that most folks go for in this era of integrated electronics. I'll be updating my entire setup soon with new Raymarine components and will therefore go with Ray for the autopilot.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I agree. A common manufacturer for autopilot and chart plotter is an important consideration. While integration across brands is workable, you'll likely get some extra features with common brands. I currently have a Simrad AP28 autopilot integrated with a Simrad NSE8 chart plotter. It works great. The AP28 also has some nice features you don't find on every autopilot. It has a no drift mode that keeps you on a course line regardless of wind and current on any arbitrary heading. All of them will do this when navigating to a waypoint, but it's the only one I've seen that does it with just a heading selection. I've also found that the accuracy of the compass is excellent. Much better than I was ever able to achieve with my previous Raymarine autopilot. Good luck with your choice. All the modern units work well, but consider the chart plotter integration for both what you currently have and what you may upgrade to in the future.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jbutzer

Post by jbutzer »

It is a good thing that you are replacing rather than doing a 'first install'. All of the plumbing in-place will save hours, maybe days.

2 years ago I replaced YACHTA YACHTA's ('94 32' Sportfish) Robertson 300 with a Garmin A/P. It plugs into a (Garmin) NEMA 2000 network, which sounds like a big deal, but is really a fancy, common, new wiring harness. A 2000 network is, according to all mfg's, 'common' to all mfg's. However all of my other stuff, meaning GPS and radar are Garmin as well, so I don't know first-hand if that is true. Over the years I've been pleasantly surprised with the compatibility between mfg's on NEMA 083, so the 2,000 should likely work as well or better.

If you are considering a Garmin, know that the pump is huge compared to the Robertson, meaning 3x the footprint, and heavier. Unlike the Robertson, the Garmin pump motor is variable speed. The Robertson worked fine, but the Garmin leaves a wake that is almost spooky-straight, really great. However, if a Simrad (Roberston) pump fits better, then the NEMA 2000 protocol may save the day between the mfg's of your other components.

If you choose the Garmin, beware of a gadget, and I forgot the marketing-buzz-name, but it cuts-out the A/P when someone mistakenly grabs the wheel. That gadget, from the get-go, didn't pass the smell test with me, meaning that if something isn't 'just-right', the bleeding thing is simply going to unexpectedly cut-out. For this installation, I was 'coached' over the phone by a pro-installer friend ($100 sort-of 'advance retainer' -- well spent) who agreed right-way, and he said that he never installs that feature. I left it out as well, and do not miss it.

No matter what mfg you choose, the plumbing configuration will, as far as I know will stay the same. Even though the Garmin was bigger, adapting it to the existing plumbing was not that big of a deal.

Disclaimer: Not to put down (okay, I am) another mfg, I've never understood the attraction to RayMarine other than a lot of them are purchased, especially by boat mfg's for their new boats (low-bid?). I've used them both extensively, and shake my head every time I get on a boat with a RayMarine set-up.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I agree that I would not install that cut out when someone grabs the wheel because that happens unintentionally when getting in and out of the seat. Besides I would not be able to let the grandchildren "drive" the boat while it is on autopilot. They get a real kick out of doing that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I installed a Sitex SP-70 a couple of years ago in my old 40 Albin trawler. It was by far the lowest cost, and it included the bigger hydraulic pump. It works awesome ** and does everything I need it to do. It's tied into the GPSZ and will folllow a course and go to waypoints right on the money.

** However, when packing for an extended voyage, if you store a crate full of canned goods down in the bilge near the compass, it don't track so well. I learned this :roll: :lol: recently when I had a "holiday inn express" moment.
Now to get into the bilge and move those cans.........
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

** However, when packing for an extended voyage, if you store a crate full of canned goods down in the bilge near the compass, it don't track so well.
I've said this before...I'm glad I'm not the only one.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Electronics”