• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thread sealant

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thread sealant

Post by jms02050 »

Swapping out my Raymarine autopilot pump (M81120) and the instructions call for "pipe sealing compound". Called Raymarine asking for a recommendation but they were no help. As is often the case, a web search leads to info overload. Loctite, Permatex, etc? I know it needs to be compatible with hydraulic fluid. Anyone know of something readily available that can be found at most stores?
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Thread sealant

Post by marko »

Don't know exactly what you're doing, but do know there are variations of Permatex. Been told to use nickle based Permatex vs standard, which I think has copper. This is from a Cummins mech for the brass pencil zinc holders. Had to order it.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Just trying to identify the right pipe thread sealant for the metal fittings that attach the hydraulic lines to the autopilot pump. Here's a pic of the fittings. Thinking pipe dope with teflon...
IMG_1237.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Where I worked last we used Loctite 242 or 272 on pipe threads when we could because they would never leak with that on them.
Everything else would leak from time to time, but not with loctite.
And we assembled thousands every day.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I use RectorSeal 5 on all threaded fittings (fuel & hydr.) and hoses/hose barbs. Have used it on 2 autopilot pump installs, steering cylinders, etc. Never an issue. Available at Home Depot, hardware stores and the like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by RobS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Here is the data sheet
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Thx Rob. I've also heard of many people using Loctite 545 - expensive stuff, hard to find, but supposed to also work well.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I will vouch for the Rectorseal #5. It doesn't leak. It makes removal of hoses and fittings much easier in the future as well.

Return to “Electronics”