• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Underwater lights

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Underwater lights

Post by Legacy »

Anyone install, use or know anything about underwater lights installed in your hull? Seems like a neat thing to have for fishing, attracting bait or even just hanghing slipside at night. Expensive?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

There are quite a few underwater lights out there. Done right, they are beautiful and pricey.
I've seen transom mounted lights, through hull, etc.
Since I don't fish at night often, dive, or hang at a marina, I can't see spending BIG bucks for lights.

http://www.underwaterlights.com
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

About the only purpose underwater lights would serve for us would be to look neat at the marina. Maybe squid jigging, but for that you usually want the lit column of water to be vertical so you can run your jug up and down through it. Salmon aren't attracted to light.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I came across a guy on THT today that makes underwater LED lights. Small shop, friendly service, low price. For a couple of hundred I may try adding them. Yes, they will attract bait fish but honestly since I'm at a marina now, it will look cool.
The draw is around 2 amps. Not much of a drain on the battery.

Then I came across this post from 2007. Must be karma.

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/
John
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I added them to my hull back in March and besides looking pretty cool, they do work to attract bait. I only had the chance to use them once last winter for squidding in the Puget Sound but I intend to to some more squidding this winter. Besides being great table fare, the squid are awesome halibut bait and tuna chum!! :lol:

Anthony
MadMoney
Ilwaco/Seattle WA
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Anthony,
Couple of questions...

Did you put them on a seaparate switch?
Do you run with them on?
Did you install LED?
Do you have growth/barnacle problems?
How far below the waterline?
Cheap ones like me or good ones?
Any pictures?

Thanks!
John
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

jcollins wrote:Anthony,
Couple of questions...

Did you put them on a seaparate switch?
Do you run with them on?
Did you install LED?
Do you have growth/barnacle problems?
How far below the waterline?
Cheap ones like me or good ones?
Any pictures?

Thanks!
I had a new switch installed to run the underwater lights as well as the cockpit spreader light I added.
I can run with the underwater lights on up to hull speed.... beyond that the water is no longer in contact with the lights and they would overheat.
I chose the Perko brand underwater lights. They are not the LED type... I know a few friends with them and they have been trouble free.
No growth issues for me... our boat spends about 8 months a year in fresh water (Lake Union).
My mechanic chose the location based off the stringers and other limitations like the swim step support brackets.
The Perko's were about $300 per light if I remember correctly plus the switch and installation costs.
I have yet to get a good picture with the lights on... the flash kills it or it's just too dark without it. I do have some pic's during installation somewhere that I will post.

Hope this helps!

Anthony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Tripod, no flash, and a very still night.

Return to “Electronics”