• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor Winch Problem - Help!

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Anchor Winch Problem - Help!

Post by slimjim »

I use my Anchor a lot for shark fishing and on Saturday I had another Captain running my boat, he says the winch worked well on the first trip. On the 2nd trip the winch "stopped working" when they were trying to pull it up in 45ft or water.

The red nob by below my gear/throttle works okay and pushes in on and off okay as the red light comes on, and I can hear it click on a little grey relay below the helm.

I cannot find any fuse or reset trip button and I am not sure whats the problem. It just will not work anymore. Yesterday we had to pull the anchor my hand and it was no fun trying to get my anchor up.

Its a 2002 Albin 28TE white winch and it always worked fine. Any ideas on whats wrong or what to do would be welcome.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Anchor Winch Problem - Help!

Post by special k »

my 2002 also has a white (forget the brand name) windlass. mine uses smaller (10ga) pair of wires from switch @ helm to motor with no switches @ the pulpit. mine had problems with corrosion at the motor wire connections and i had some success replacing section of wire in the rope locker, but not for long. mine is also pre wired with larger gauge wires from near batteries to locker. (not in use). i got tired of trying to keep my windlass working and have replacement on my "to do" list with a unit that i hope can endure more severe duty. while trouble shooting i first made sure my helm switch was not the problem.

agree that deploying and retrieval by hand is a pita.
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

I recently had a problem with my winch. Another member suggested that it could be bad contact on the spades in the anchor locker. They were removed, cleaned and a bit of dielectric grease was injected. Good to go.

It's worth a try before replacing the unit.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pasteur wrote:I recently had a problem with my winch. Another member suggested that it could be bad contact on the spades in the anchor locker. They were removed, cleaned and a bit of dielectric grease was injected. Good to go.

It's worth a try before replacing the unit.
Spades in the anchor locker? Spades on what? Is your contactor mounted in the anchor locker?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Spades in the anchor locker? Spades on what? Is your contactor mounted in the anchor locker?
If you have deck foot switches, Control Box is mounted up high backside starboard side. During my ownership, I cleaned and put electrical grease on connections annually and replaced control box 2X. Maintenance is key in that location.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

My boat came pre-wired from the under helm area to the anchor locker for the windlass and the foot switch wiring.
2012-06-11_08-25-24_174.jpg
I installed the contactor under the helm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

A much better way to go Rob. If mine hadn't been built with windlass and switches I'd have done the same. Later models had the box still in the locker, but inside an acrylic box. This offers some protection.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Seems it would be easy enough to relocate the contactor and worth the hour or two of work and just the cost of some connectors to get it into a dry location.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

it was the motor. 12 year old lewmar pro 600 under powered for what i do. So I replaced it with a Pro 1000 and bigger chain and rope. So far it works great. $2k after all was said and done. The winch was $939
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I replaced my Lewmar Pro 1000 motor last year when it gave out. While disassembling, I also found the gear bearings and seals were shot. I bought a kit and had a machine shop press them in. Moral: service geartrain yearly w/new grease. Easy but messy job. The boat was new to me so who knows the history. Good luck with the new one and with your fishing!
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “Electronics”