• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

FUEL GAUGE PROBLEMS

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

FUEL GAUGE PROBLEMS

Post by ALBIN »

1995 ALBIN 28 TE WITH Cummins MOTOR 6BTA

I JUST REPLACED GROUP 31 BATTERY X2 AND INSTALLED NEW BATTERY CHARGER PRO SPORT 20AMP (PROMARINER) CHARGER WHICH WORKS WELL AND HAS SELF CHECKING SYSTEM THAT IS OK.
ALL OTHER ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS PUMPS, LIGHT, FRIDGE APPEAR TO WORK WELL.

THE FUEL GAUGE NOW MALFUNCTIONS

WHEN SWITCHED ON AT THE HELM THE NEEDLE MOVES FROM ITS OFF POSITION BELOW EMPTY IN A COUNTERCLOCKWISE FASHION TO A "MORE EMPTY" POSITION

IT OPERATED FINE 1 DAY PRIOR TO INSTALLING BATTERIES AND CHARGER.

ANY THOUGHTS?

THANKS

TIM
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: FUEL GAUGE PROBLEMS

Post by DougSea »

Did you move wires that were directly connected to the old batteries? It's possible you switched something up. Double check your always hot buss bar. Make sure it's 12v+

Radio memory working?

It's unlikely to be either the batteries or the charger.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Maybe the wires at the gauge or on the tank were changed from one terminal to the other? This sounds a little like what happens if I don't pay attention when I hook up the plugs on my multimeter.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Post by ALBIN »

Update:
The entire top of the sending unit had broken loose and therefore breaking contact intermittently.
I used a stainless steel fishing leader wrapped around 2 opposing screws to force the top back down into position and it has worked great ever since.

Return to “Electronics”