• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

iPad, Internet, Engine Camera

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

iPad, Internet, Engine Camera

Post by Pasteur »

A friend has the E-series Raymarine package. The set up includes a video camera in the engine room that allows him to keep an eye on things when he's running. It's a nice feature and I decided to copy the concept on board ZeroPSI with some improvements...

First I mounted an iPad above the helm using a Sea Sucker product. It looks great. Then I put a Verizon MiFI and a wireless router on the boat. The wireless router pushes internet related traffic to the Mifi and manages the local traffic on the boat.

Finally I mounted a wireless IP camera on the bulkhead behind the engine. it's an outdoor camera with IR for night viewing. I get a nice view of the shaft, bilge and engine. Time will tell if it stands up to the marine environment.

The electronics are all 12V so I cut the tips off of the power supplies and used them to hard wire everything to the bus fed by the DC main breaker. I put a 10a inline fuse on the + side.

The setup also allows me to put weather radar, the Navionics app, MarineTrafffic.Com and etc on the iPad when I'm running (albinowners.net when I'm at the dock :D ). And of course I can switch over to a live view of the engine room. I think I will add another camera to watch the steering gear. And BTW the iPad has been bright enough so far.

Cost? $1/foot for marine 16/2 wire, a few butt splices, $49 for the camera and about $100 for the iPad mount. The rest of the stuff was in stock around the house. It's definitely less expensive and more functional than the Raymarine solution.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: iPad, Internet, Engine Camera

Post by Pasteur »

P.S. obviously nothing mission critical or even backup on the iPad. For navigation I depend on the chartplotter on a C120 with a hand held Garmin for backup. The Navionics app is great and it even works offshore but it's not a substitute for good quality electronics.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

I would also like to put a camera in the engine room. How exactly does the wireless camera picture appear on the iPad? Where did you get the camera?

Thanks
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pasteur »

Ron,

I bought it on Amazon. My impression is that the same camera is marketed by different companies. (i know thats thencase for the more expensive Foscams. This looks like the same camera but mine is silver and cost about $20 less...

http://www.amazon.com/EZOWare®-Outdoor- ... B00EDZ9R3E

The camera has its own web server on board. To view the image you just type in the IP address and port - 192.168.1.250:99 for example. After selecting the type of browser the image pops up on the screen.

Also I'm sure there are apps that can display the image from multiple cameras in a single page. I'll work on that after the 2nd camera is installed.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Got it. Thanks.

I went to Amazon and it appears that you have to have 3G cell phone service to get it to work while you are underway.

My tablet is wifi only so I guess that it will not work there but will on my iPhone.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pasteur »

If you're only interested in the engine room camera then internet access isn't important. With an inexpensive wireless router, the camera and an iDevice you've got a network. That setup will allow you to keep a closer eye on the engine room.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Are the wireless router & camera 12 Volt?
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pasteur »

Yes. I'm careful to buy only 12V components. That being said it seems like everything in this class of products runs off of 12V and the same tip.

(The exception is the MiFi. For that I bought a 12v to 5v mini USB converter.)
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
Rybo78
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, MA

Post by Rybo78 »

As long as you download the charts for your intended cruising area before hand, you will not need cell service on iPad for navionics app either. As for reliability, I give the app 4 out of 5 stars. I actually used one to navigate a 68 Hatteras back from the USVI's a few years ago. 100% spot on the entire trip! My wife and I always used one for navigating an old fortier. Today, when I'm traveling up and down the coast or headed out for a day of fishing I never leave the dock with out it. Just wish it would convert to heads up!

Return to “Electronics”