• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Federal MMSI

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Federal MMSI

Post by DougSea »

Has anyone out there gone through the FCC process for an MMSI? Kathy and I are considering a move to Maine in the not too distant future, so trips to Canada are a real possibility. A BoatUS issued number is no good outside the US.

I've been to the FCC site but it's really not clear what a recreational boater needs. A checklist would be awesome.

Any help is appreciated!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Re: Federal MMSI

Post by Sunsetrider »

Totally simple and straightforward process Doug. You fill out the form, send it in, and in a few weeks a nice lady from Northwest Ontario sends you an email with your MMSI. If you need any more direction let me know and I'll pull my file.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Thanks so much for the reply!

I did some more research and (as a US vessel) managed to get the FCC site figured out. There was some good info at Panbo.com and once I got started the FCC site wasn't TOO bad. Once I figured it out the process wasn't too crazy and I had my MMSI in about 2 days. Did cost me $160, so I REALLY hope we make it to Canada!

So I now have both a federal MMSI AND a VHF callsign! And if you ever want to track me you can go to MarineTraffic.com and look for Sonny IV, we're in there!
Doug
Sonny IV
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Seems like the Canuckski procedure is a lot simpler - I had a simple 2 page form to fax in and it was totally free. If you find yourself in the 1000 Islands of the St. Lawrence River, our MMSI is 316 025 383.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

What is the name of the form we need to get in Canada?When I tried to look it up in industry canada's website I was not sure which one pleasure boaters had to apply to.I guess I am literally challenged.Thanks Bob
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

As far as I am aware you don't need anything in particular to visit in Canadian waters and to dock at Canadian ports, other than to check in with Customs when entering Cdn waters, and check back in with US customs when you dock in the US side. The MMSI numbers are voluntary, and your US number will serve you in Canada as well.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Reading the official scoop I came across: "Anyone who uses a VHF radio must follow the procedures described in the VHF Radiotelephone Practices and Procedures Regulations. Currently, all VHF radio operators are required to have a Restricted Operator's Certificate (ROC) with maritime qualifications. Canada recognizes the American Certificate."

In the US you CAN get an MMSI for free. However that number is NOT recognized internationally (I have no idea why) and does NOT get you an ROC. By going through the FCC process I have an internationally recognized MMSI and an ROC.

If you're so inclined you will be able to track / contact me at MMSI 367598050. While I don't have "real" AIS installed (yet) I have been using the BoatBeacon app and can be tracked via either their site/app or on MarineTraffic.com
Doug
Sonny IV
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Right. I have the ROC as well by virtue of the Canada Power and Sail Squadron course and exam.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Sunsetrider wrote:Right. I have the ROC as well by virtue of the Canada Power and Sail Squadron course and exam.

Probably where the confusion comes in. Sounds like you, as a Canadian, are already set up for international sailing, whereas US recreational boaters are not required to have any type of radio license for VHF. I believe this goes back to the BoatUS organization campaigning for "license free" VHF to encourage the adoption of a very valuable piece of safety gear.

There are times of course that we get an idiot on the radio with no concept of the regulations and proper use, but that's more the exception than the rule.
Doug
Sonny IV
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I don't know for sure but I suspect the licensing requirement is honoured in the breach to a significant degree. I will say it is not an onerous thing to learn the basics of radio talk procedure and good to know you are not sounding like an idiot on the airwaves. :lol:
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Hi,

Just bought 2 Standard Horizon radios, both with AIS, and want to get an International MMSI # for when we do the Loop. While there is a little time before that I might as well get it set up now.

Can you provide more info than what you did below to handle the FCC site? I'll check out Panbo and see what Ben says as well.

Was the $160 a 1 time charge?

Thanks for your help.
DougSea wrote:Thanks so much for the reply!

I did some more research and (as a US vessel) managed to get the FCC site figured out. There was some good info at Panbo.com and once I got started the FCC site wasn't TOO bad. Once I figured it out the process wasn't too crazy and I had my MMSI in about 2 days. Did cost me $160, so I REALLY hope we make it to Canada!

So I now have both a federal MMSI AND a VHF callsign! And if you ever want to track me you can go to MarineTraffic.com and look for Sonny IV, we're in there!
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

For information us guys on the other side of the pond in the UK can apply for a Ship Radio Licence online. We get ours free of charge from Ofcom `Office of Communication` We open a free internet account and fill in the online form. The only problem is the same site is used for Aircraft Carrier, submarines and large crude carries and all other vessels, so looking for the best box to tick for a Albin 25 `puddle jumper` takes a bit of finding, and no I do not have more than twenty lifeboats. When all the right boxes have been filled, back it came with my callsign and MMSI number as well as my boats name. I don`t have AIS so never applied. I`ve been to Holland and France and had no problems so I guess they recognised my boat. All owners (should) have to have a VHF ROC `Restricted Operators Certificate`.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I applied to the FCC, paid my $160 and got my international mmmsi#

Now the hard part. I have the Standard Horizon VHF with AIS. I have programmed with the MMSI that I got from BoatUS. Went to change the MMSI. No can do!

Once you've programmed it, it is locked in. Called Standard Horizon. They informed me that I will probably need to send the unit back to them so they can do a reset. Hassle, but gotta do it.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Electronics”