• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Headsets / Hearing - Help for the hearing impaired

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Headsets / Hearing - Help for the hearing impaired

Post by amber jj »

I'm deaf as a door nail,is there anything available with bluetooth or wi-fi that my VHF radio can transmit & receive to a wireless headset.I have tried external speakers which don't help enough.I can hear while sitting or at idle but underway it is pretty much impossible for me to process the words.I use headphones for the TV at home and it helps a lot.
P.S. don't suggest getting hearing aids I already have a couple grand of them and like most people that have them they are buried in a dresser drawer.

ADMIN Note - Copying this post to a new thread to carry on the "headset" conversation separately from the AIS discussion. See - "Headsets / Hearing"
Last edited by amber jj on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvlyon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Re: Headsets / Hearing - Help for the hearing impaired

Post by dvlyon »

amber jj wrote:I'm deaf as a door nail, is there anything available with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi that my VHF radio can transmit & receive to a wireless headset. I have tried external speakers which don't help enough. I can hear while sitting or at idle but underway it is pretty much impossible for me to process the words. I use headphones for the TV at home and it helps a lot.
P.S. don't suggest getting hearing aids I already have a couple grand of them and like most people that have them they are buried in a dresser drawer.
Amber JJ - consider plugging a Bluetooth transmitter into your VHF external speaker jack. http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack- ... B002HHLOWC You may need to get a plug adapter but they are easy to find at Radio Shack. Then get yourself a nice set of Bluetooth noise canceling headphones. 8)
"Lyon's Pride"
2001 31 TE with Twin Yanmar 315's
Rock Hall, MD
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Amber JJ,

Realized after seeing DV's post that I had totally missed the point of your question, which was much more about hearing communications than it was AIS. So I've copied the relevant posts here to start a new thread.

I've had challenges hearing my radio while underway as well and have been seriously considering some sort of headset, similar to those worn by pilots. I'll look for some additional links, but you could start here:

http://www.planetheadset.com/icom-radio-accessories.php

Just scroll down towards the bottom. These are focused on Icom radios, but I've found others as well, and you can almost certainly put a system together. A little pricy, but in the world of boats, not that bad.

There's also the Standard Horizon GX5500S with built in bluetooth and an optional headset.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/standard ... 7AodH2cAvA

The headset is here -www.starmarinedepot.com/standard-horizo ... h-kit.html

If you want to go "Whole Hog" you can look at David Clark. One of the possible setups is a gateway that connects to your fixed mount VHF, and then the headset talks to that. So you can wander the boat wirelessly while being connected to your large VHF. Cool, but I'm guessing it's a LOT of $$.

http://www.davidclark.com/Wireless/file ... ochure.pdf
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
dvlyon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Post by dvlyon »

I would guess that 99% of my VHF use is listening. I'm not sure the mic function would be that great on the lower priced headsets.

Amber jj - There is something out there for your needs. As Doug said it depends on the cost. Sometimes it is better to start cheap and simple. You have wasted money in your drawer already.
"Lyon's Pride"
2001 31 TE with Twin Yanmar 315's
Rock Hall, MD
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Thanks for the suggestions.I knew I could not have been the only one out there with this problem.I would have thought it would have been a little simpler to find a remedy for this problem.At least now I have a few more ideas to look into.

Return to “Electronics”