• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pocket or keel mounted transducers, any experience?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Turkey

Pocket or keel mounted transducers, any experience?

Post by tayfunmeric »

Hello, I would like to add a new wide transducer to my fish-finder, like CM509HL W, do any of the members have experience with pocket mounted transducers at Albin 28 TE?
Do you know if there is a steel belt in the centerline / keel of the boat? My boat is 1997 28TE.

Any response would be appreciated?
elad

Re: Pocket or keel mounted transducers, any experience?

Post by elad »

I am not familiar with the transducer you are considering but I do not believe there is anything interfering along the center line. I have a sounder with a transom mount transducer that I have installed on a bracket at the center line inside the bilge under the hatch between the captain and mate seats in a 28 TE. What I did was put a plastic bag around the transducer and filled it with water. The transducer shoots through the hull with no distortion or difficulty.
tayfunmeric
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Turkey

Re: Pocket or keel mounted transducers, any experience?

Post by tayfunmeric »

Thank you for your sharing your experience. First, I was considering the shoot thru transducers. However, it might be a problem through the cored hull. I had originally Raymarine DSM 300 connected to the b744 "thru hull" transducer.
I think factory installed, on the port side under the port hatch. Than I installed B265 LH with a simrad BSM-2 on the starboard side just 1,5 foot from the keel.
The problem was with both of them at speeds over 7-8 knot with bottom tracking and in deeper water 1000'+" with finding the bottom and fish at all.

So, I am fishing in shallow depths till 300', trolling and deep dropping in depths till 2000'+. I wanted to have an all in one solution with 2 transducers. I want to try now 2 trannies, 1 CM111LM 2 KW and B175LHW 1 KW, both new chirp transducers. 1kw with BSM 2 and 2 or even 3 kw with Furuno 295 or 1150. I wanted them to mount in pocket mount right into the center line under the hatch in the cabin.

So, if no experiences along the forum, I will share mine later in summer:))

Return to “Electronics”