• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DEPTH FINDER UPGRADE

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

DEPTH FINDER UPGRADE

Post by ALBIN »

HAVE A DATED SI-TEX AVS-107 WITH A THRU HULL TRANSDUCER THAT IS THE 120 HZ SO I CAN'T DO AN EASY UPGRADE PER SI-TEX SUPPORT BECAUSE IT IS 120 VS 50 OR 200 HZ.
I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE TO GARMIN 740 OR EQUIVALENT DEPTH AND GPS COMBO (MY GPS IS DATED AS WELL)
MY QUESTION IS WHAT TRANSDUCER TO USE/WHAT IS MY "DEADRISE DEGREES" IF MOUNTED THRUHULL AT THE HATCH BETWEEN THE COPILOT AND CAPTAIN SEAT
IT IS A 1995 ALBIN 28 TE WITH ENGINE BOX
I NEED TO PUT ON A LIFT AND THE CURRENT ONE OCCASIONALLY IS REALLY CLOSE TO THE LIFT AND OCCASIONALLY HITS IT SO I WOULD LIKE TO USE A FLUSH MOUNT LIKE AIRMAR B164 BRONZE 20 degree tilt 8 pin depth and temp

is this the right thru hull for the deadrise??

thanks
Tim
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: DEPTH FINDER UPGRADE

Post by Russell »

That is the one I had installed on my 97 28TE and I was happy with it. It worked well and I never had to worry about the fork lifts causing any damage. I had it partnered with the Furuno digital sounder.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I've just fitted a Raymarine Dargonfly to sit alongside my sitex 106 and what a piece of kit it is! I have a stern mounted transducer that comes as part of the package and have no issues what so ever with it working at 18 knots - i am on the wrong PC at the moment but i can upload some of the images from my mobile phone tomorrow and you will be taken back at how good they are.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

I was going to mount the Dragonfly transom mount to my 28te boat, but was told it wouldn't work. Now I know it does. Did you put it on the port or starboard side?

Any pics would be great!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

John_Madison CT wrote:I was going to mount the Dragonfly transom mount to my 28te boat, but was told it wouldn't work. Now I know it does. Did you put it on the port or starboard side?

Any pics would be great!

I've fitted it on the wrong side as per Raymarines instructions and it is on the starboard side - both myself and my buddy have fitted the same units in the same place with no issues. You will need the 4 metre extension cable and run the cable down the starboard side of the boat - even then it is just only long enough.

First image is of a wreck and you can clearly see the hull and towards the bottom the bridge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

One other thing I did forget to mention, if you zoom in on the wreck image to the left hand side you can see where the pirk was hitting the bottom while we were fishing it. Towards the top right of the wreck you can also identify individual fish. Usually with the Dragonfly, in downvision mode fish tend to show up as lines as the ping rate is high - in sonar mode they show up as "mushrooms".
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Thanks for the post. I have been looking at the Dragon Fly at a couple stores. The results looks really great. They won't work with my e120 Raymarine but would make a great separate system.
whwells "Howard"
hugocarter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm City, FL

Post by hugocarter »

I will be installing a Dragonfly this weekend - 2 questions:

How far from the centerline of the boat did you install the transducer?
Did the display unit affect the magnetic compass?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

hugocarter wrote:I will be installing a Dragonfly this weekend - 2 questions:

How far from the centerline of the boat did you install the transducer?
Did the display unit affect the magnetic compass?

Mine was fitted halfway between the starboard trim tab and the centre line of the boat - completely the wrong side of the propellor wash but still works great.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Electronics”