• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

KVH vs Intellian

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

KVH vs Intellian

Post by seasalt »

I am seriously considering putting a new satellite TV dish on Hi Spirits. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about KVH or Intellian's smaller dishes?

Any recommendations on where to purchase? KVH, for one, does not have good things to say about the eBay sellers that sell new KVH equipment but are not "authorized" dealers.

Thanks
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Destin, FL

Re: KVH vs Intellian

Post by DestinSteve »

Did you purchase a unit? I am having the same discussion. Am told the Intellian is slightly easier to install and set up but looking at the manuals can not see much difference. Same for pricing. I do want HD and have to keep the dome under the radar so will probably order the TV2 . My local West Marine has said they would match any online price on this item so i plan to take them up on the offer.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

I have not done anything yet. Keep us posted. Thanks
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DestinSteve »

Well the install took forever at about an hour a week. The good news is it works as advertised. Will find out this summer how far offshore it works on our trip to the Abacos. Looks a bit strange at the edge of the hardtop but had to either be above or below the radar and this location made pulling wires much easier. It is so small it is still well within the rub rail. Like most projects the second one would take about half the time. Using Dish Network have lots of HD channels. Switching between satellites is automatic but has a pause that makes you think it stopped working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

A nice addition and looks good.

I see a Wirie mounted aft of the Sat. How has that performed for you. I ask because I just picked up the new Wirie Pro with WiFi and G service this past Saturday!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

The satellite dish/dome looks good. I like your hard-top too.
I also noticed the Wirie you have. I am undecided about which long range WiFi setup to purchase, and am interested in comments from you and Pitou.
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DestinSteve »

The Wirie has been a good addition for about 2 years now. Liked the idea of a all in one install with no router or other wires in the cabin. Did have a loss of software about a year ago and support was very good. They sent a file with good instructions that had it working again on the first attempt.

The range for a good open signal is about 2 miles. Not nearly as much as some ads i have seen. At our dock went from no open signals with a ipad to maybe 20 including the one at our condo which is about 600' away. We are located on a busy harbor so results may vary. Traveling the interface used to pick and search for signals is cumbersome but works fine. It makes a big difference picking up free marina internet when traveling. We have been to several marinas that have service but it is weak or only sometimes reached the slip we were in. Were able to give out boat neighbors internet by sharing our onboard broadcast password.

Expensive but i would do it again.

Return to “Electronics”