• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transducer for down view/side scan

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Transducer for down view/side scan

Post by Pete »

Has anyone upgraded their fishfinder with a Garmn 741xs and used the down view capable transducer?Or any other brand with side scan/structure scan etc? I m upgrading my old Koden which had a broze airmar transducer and I'm not sure which unit and transducer combo would be best for for fishing Fishers .Block Island ,Long Island sounds?
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: Transducer for down view/side scan

Post by slimjim »

depends how deep you are fishing, if under 500ft I went with the Airman B75M flush mount. over 500ft the B175M is best, But more money. One is around $600 and the other (175) is about $1k. These are flush mount transducers. If you go with a block then you need to go with some other units. THT has a ton of good info on this.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Thanks, fishing under 500' usually 40-250', What fishfinder do you use? I'm still shopping,,,
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

I have the garmin 1040 and furuno 1100 both are great units. The garmin 1040 I am using the B75M AIRMAN. Under 300 to 500 ft will be enough for you.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have a new Garmin 7612xsv. Just received my thru hull pair transducers, all CHIRP technology. You should check out the Garmin 76XX series on THT.

Here's some cool links:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garmin/se ... 438217781/

http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifis ... s-fyi.html

Here's my ducers:
GT50's.jpg
GT50 with Fairing Block.jpg
GT50 Y Cable etc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Pete wrote:Thanks, fishing under 500' usually 40-250', What fishfinder do you use? I'm still shopping,,,

I am using the Raymarine Dragonfly - again Chirp technology but also with sonar. I've also got the original Sitex sounder on the boat, it has an advantage as Chirp technology isn't great for picking up shoals of fish like sonar does but it will pick out individual fish.

I've posted some screenshots of the dragonfly in chirps mode somewhere on the forum.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7195&p=43500&hilit ... fly#p43500

those are real time pictures, not ones from the Raymarine website - first one is of a cement carrying cargo ship and the bottom one is of kelp beds.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the Garmin 741xs or new Garmin 94sv echo-map and one traditional/chirp thru hull transducer like RobS, showed,
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Wow, you have quite a task ahead of you installing 3 transducers! Can't wait to see your screen shots and real world experience with the side scan.

Be sure to take a lot of pics of the install.

RobS wrote:I have a new Garmin 7612xsv. Just received my thru hull pair transducers, all CHIRP technology. You should check out the Garmin 76XX series on THT.

Here's some cool links:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garmin/se ... 438217781/

http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifis ... s-fyi.html

Here's my ducers:
GT50's.jpg
GT50 with Fairing Block.jpg
GT50 Y Cable etc.jpg
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

John_Madison CT wrote:Wow, you have quite a task ahead of you installing 3 transducers!
It's two transducers with a Y-cable. She's a solid glass hull so no coring to deal with which simplifies the install quite a bit so it's just a one-day'r. That's one day without snow or freezing temps!

Here's the unit in place in simulator mode
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Rob, I trusted your tip and contacted Gil, after a lot of discussion I just received my Garmin 94sv, with the thru hull side view transducer, can't wait to see it in action, I'm attempting to get away with the one ducer, did I see a picture on the the forum of someone's boat with the side view on a 28te? I thought I was named Manhana?i can't find that thread.Pete
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Pete wrote:Rob, I trusted your tip and contacted Gil, after a lot of discussion I just received my Garmin 94sv, with the thru hull side view transducer, can't wait to see it in action, I'm attempting to get away with the one ducer, did I see a picture on the the forum of someone's boat with the side view on a 28te? I thought I was named Manhana?i can't find that thread.Pete
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4601&hilit=simrad
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

John_Madison CT wrote:Wow, you have quite a task ahead of you installing 3 transducers! Can't wait to see your screen shots and real world experience with the side scan.

Be sure to take a lot of pics of the install.
Installed the ducers this weekend. No issues finding a spot on both sides of the bottom that was in a clear path of water and had good interior access for assembly. I guess 13'+ beam can be thanked for that.
1 inch hole and bottom prepped.jpg
Using an angle finder noted the boat was blocked 1 degree off of level. Measured hull deadrise at ducer to be 13degress and cut a cedar block on tablesaw accordingly. Using the angle finder fine tuned cedar block with belt sander to be the same 1 degree off as the hull sits.
cedar block jig.jpg
Then used the cedar block as a jig to set the band saw angle and cut the fairing blocks.
fairing block cut to match cedar block.jpg
the cut parts.jpg
Again fine tuned with the belt sander to the same 1 degree off level.
fairing block angle fine tuned.jpg
Held the fairing block in place by rotating the ducer 90 degrees which allowed for drilling the anti rotation studs.
block held in place for drilling.jpg
When dry fit connected to Garmin MFD to verify all function with no issues prior to bedding in sealant. Covered surrounding bottom and ducer in blue tape for ease of cleanup. Reassembled with 4200 and had a nice even ooze around full perimeter. There is also 4200 between the top of the ducer and the bottom of fairing block.
even displacement of 4200 as tightened.jpg
4200 displaced.jpg
stbd installed.jpg
port installed.jpg
clean pathway.jpg
in engine room.jpg
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Awesome. I just installed a Airmar B744v which required the high speed fairing cut to the hull angle. Very nice work! Can't wait to see the screen shots.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks John. The B744V is what I installed in T-R and it always served we very well.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Electronics”