• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Both battery banks being drawn down when on hook.

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Both battery banks being drawn down when on hook.

Post by packham »

I have an Albin 27AC that has a engine battery and 2 6V golf cart batteries for the house bank. On the starting battery the only wires are the positive and negative leads on the appropriate posts and the battery charger wired to the positive post. All other instruments etc are wired to the house battery bank.

When on the hook we switch the batteries to the house bank (battery 2) but both the engine bank (battery 1) and the house bank are being drawn down. All 3 of the batteries are flooded lead/acid and are new in past 6 months. I am thinking the battery switch might be the culprit but am looking for other leads/suggestions on why the engine battery is losing charge. Thanks, Roger
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Both battery banks being drawn down when on hook.

Post by joreyn »

Roger, some battery switches have three positions. One for "off", one for on but not combine, and one for on and combined with the other batteries. Are yours set up that way? Do you have a separate switch for each battery?
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Post by packham »

My battery switch has off, 1, all, and 2. When on hook we use 2 (house) when running we use all (both).
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

If both banks are connected to the same switch, I strongly suspect the switch. I have three banks on Blue Moon, Start, House and Inverter. Each has a separate switch. If I put any two circuits on Combine, the banks are connected. If I put the Start battery on Off, it is completely isolated.

By the way, Carol says Hi to Mary. We've enjoyed the blog.

Joreyn

John and Carol Reynolds
Blue Moon
36 ET
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Electronics”