• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Simrad or Garmin ???

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Simrad or Garmin ???

Post by whwells »

Well, lots of folks are moving towards Garmin. Reportedly less money and easy to operate. However, call my old fashion but if you can Raymarine is my choice. Have had the finest of Furuno but found it far a to complicated to operate.
i do hear good things about Garmin. Seems to be the choice of new boat dealers getting boats ready for sale.
whwells "Howard"
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

no problem, it all works great. I'll let you know when I refit.
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

Howard,
Just do your homework but don't put too much emphasis on what builders are going with.
TQ
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Rob, What kind of mount are you using for the tablet?im thinking of using one next year as a large screen gps to go with my Garmin echo map 94sv, with side scan, it was a good deal from Gil,$1,700 including the thru hull side scan duper, not bad for a 9" not touch screen but a nice unit,Pete
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mike Almvig wrote:I just installed a NSS with Simrad Radar and VHF. The system is working great for me. I just took a week cruise to check it all out. Once I figured out how the route function actually works the system worked very well.

There were only two issues that I have:
1) The VHF radio (even though it is a Simrad radio) cannot get GPS from the NSS. Seems like that should work I do have a NMEA 2000 bus both are plugged into and I have no issue getting AIS data from the VHF to the NSS.
2) I cannot do radar overlay onto my maps. Again, all Simrad gear, so that makes very little sense.

However, I love the system. I suspect these issues will get addressed with updates.

M
I had the same issue. If you go into the settings on the radio then you can selects the GPS source. Did that on my simrad radio on my little boat
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pedro wrote:Rob, What kind of mount are you using for the tablet?im thinking of using one next year as a large screen gps to go with my Garmin echo map 94sv, with side scan, it was a good deal from Gil,$1,700 including the thru hull side scan duper, not bad for a 9" not touch screen but a nice unit,Pete
I did not go with an actual mount even though it was my original plan. My temporary setup has become permanent which is just a case with a stand and I sit it up against the cup holder to the left that's mounted to the upright and just put a heavy rubber band around it. Sounds ghetto but it is super easy and works perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

So glad I went with Simrad, the system is incredible. Hoo-Ra Simrad !!!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

I went with the Garmin 94sv echo map for gps and sounder, but will upgrade my older foruno radar soon, I'm thinking simrad nss7 with a 3G radar, I want the radar overlay feature,Do you have any screenshots of your unit in action?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I have a nss7 on my smaller boat and love it but that boat doesn't have a radar. I did just get a bg Zeus touch (it's basically a nss12) and simrad go7 with the 4g radar. While I haven't run it yet from the research I've done if you can swing it the 4g is worth the premium over the 3g
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

I'd like to get updated screenshots from your system when you get a chance to use it.I was looking at the large Zeus 12" from defender, I'll look into the 4g
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea I got the package from defender the 4g with the Zeus. Gonna be a bit before its setup. Running wires this weekend...
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

No rush,,, But I'd really like to see it in use,, exactly the setup I'm considering,, I won't be doing it until after next season, I need to live with my old foruno for now, I need to get a dinghy and upgrade the anchor,"BOAT" lol,,,,.....
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I hear that. Could only afford all this cuz I expected to spend double on the boat;). I'll post up pics as I go...

Return to “Electronics”