• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Simrad or Garmin ???

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.

Simrad or Garmin ???

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

I am looking to S/can all my Raymarine Electronics as follows Classic E Series MFD'S ( 2 ), DSM-300,Raystar 125 GPS, Pathfinder Radar & Raymarine ST-6001 Smart Pilot Auto Pilot w/ Smart Controller. It all works great but I want to upgrade. I'm not sure if I should go with Simrad or Garmin Gear, can anyone help ??? :?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Simrad or Garmin ???

Post by RobS »

I went with Garmin 7600 series plotter/sounder and Simrad AP24 autopilot and couldn't be happier. I was considering the Simrad EVO series MFD's but research revealed that the Garmin was the better choice.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

10-4, Thanks Rob, I'll check it out, J.P.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Garmin 7612xsv for me also, with the Garmin auto pilot and smart pump. I chose Garmin because the user interface is intuitive and they are always releasing updates and new features. Works great, although I have had the GPS speed lock up twice now on the chart plotter. I had to restart the chart plotter to get it back. I have a ticket in with Garmin for this.

There is still a good market for the used Raymarine stuff. Without much effort, I sold ours on CL for $1500. I was surprised to get this much for circa 2001 electronics.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

Thanks DJ, mine is from2005. Maybe I can get $ 1,600. LOL. J.P.
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

Garmin 7612 xsv looks like the way to go. j.p.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

BIGDOG9857 wrote:Garmin 7612 xsv looks like the way to go. j.p.
That's the unit I have, it's super. If you have a smartphone or tablet the Garmin Helm app is excellent. The xsv has built-in wifi.

The wifi signal is very strong. I was able to have a friend log into my xsv on his tablet from across the marina and so he could check out the unit. You have full control via the app and there is literally no delay. Makes for a free, zero install, 2nd or 3rd station. Having the tablet in the cockpit when fishing is very handy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

WOW !!! Thanks Rob, looks like the way to go. J.P.
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

Although, the Simrad nss evo 2 looks kinda cool & has great features. O Boy !!!
Mike Almvig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mike Almvig »

I just installed a NSS with Simrad Radar and VHF. The system is working great for me. I just took a week cruise to check it all out. Once I figured out how the route function actually works the system worked very well.

There were only two issues that I have:
1) The VHF radio (even though it is a Simrad radio) cannot get GPS from the NSS. Seems like that should work I do have a NMEA 2000 bus both are plugged into and I have no issue getting AIS data from the VHF to the NSS.
2) I cannot do radar overlay onto my maps. Again, all Simrad gear, so that makes very little sense.

However, I love the system. I suspect these issues will get addressed with updates.

M
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

Thanks Mike for the heads up. I'm meeting with a electronics installer tommorow & I'll ask him about your issues. J.P.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

These are not insignificant issues. I would definitely make sure the system has these features. Radar overlay may require heading sensor / digital Flux compass as Furuno does. If you have an auto pilot, this is usually part of the system.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

According to an article in the latest Passage Maker Magazine Simrad is way ahead of everybody in Radar. Also Garmin Cartography has serious problems in this area at least, (South Carolina ICW) Navioncs is much more accurate. I personally would never have another Garmin Product. I know alot of people like them I just did not have a good experience with the little 440s I have. I replaced It with Lowrance HDS Gen 2. Am much happier with what I have now. I put the Garmin on My 19ft boat and never have been able to get the transducer adjusted to where it works reliably
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
BIGDOG9857
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BIGDOG9857 »

Panhdjoe, this is the exact feedback that I am getting from the Electronics Experts. As to Mike Almvig's problem, I had a meeting today with Jake of Jersey Shore Boat & marine and he asked if there was a Auto Pilot ? If yes & it's N2K, select compass source of AP compass. If no AP, a RC42N is required. I hope I got all of that right, cause it's all above my pay grade. Good Luck, J.P.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

BIGDOG9857, I am interested in any or all of your take off Raymarine stuff. Please let me know what you decide to do with them.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “Electronics”